Vari-lok with 242 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vari-lok with 242 swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 06-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Just found this. Really good price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-NP247-2...-/220703876582

Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Also, Would it be possible for my 4x4 to work when part-time? Seems like it is working when in that mode. I might be wrong however. Sorry I don't know much about transfer cases.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
Just found this. Really good price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-NP247-2...-/220703876582
Thats not really a very good price at all. You can do a swap for about a third of that price. Id also be a little cautious with that seller since the title says its a viscous coupler and the description says its a progressive coupler. Either he doesn't know the difference, or hes too lazy to change the title and therefore maybe too lazy to send you the right part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
Also, Would it be possible for my 4x4 to work when part-time? Seems like it is working when in that mode. I might be wrong however. Sorry I don't know much about transfer cases.
Do you mean in 4lo? Your 4wd should work in that mode because it bypasses the progressive coupler and physically locks the front and rear driveshafts together.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Do you mean in 4lo? Your 4wd should work in that mode because it bypasses the progressive coupler and physically locks the front and rear driveshafts together.
Thats good to hear, the only time I would really need 4x4 in the summer/fall would be a in a muddy field. In that case I would use 4lo. I may just wait till Fall the fix the coupler. Assuming I am not hurting anything doing that?
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are quite a few 247 t-cases listed on car-part.com for around $400.

Not sure if you want to gamble on a used part or not, but I think its a somewhat safe gamble. The 247 t-cases don't seem to fail very often.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
There are quite a few 247 t-cases listed on car-part.com for around $400.

Not sure if you want to gamble on a used part or not, but I think its a somewhat safe gamble. The 247 t-cases don't seem to fail very often.
Really? In the 5 years Ive been on this forum, there has been at least two or three new threads started every month with failed 247s. Most of them end up with two or three more people posting in them with the same issues. Ive only seen one grenaded 242 and only the occasional shift fork issue. Nowhere near the frequency of failures as the 247. On top of that, used 242s can be had for around $100, $200 for the HD version.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Really? In the 5 years Ive been on this forum, there has been at least two or three new threads started every month with failed 247s. Most of them end up with two or three more people posting in them with the same issues. Ive only seen one grenaded 242 and only the occasional shift fork issue. Nowhere near the frequency of failures as the 247. On top of that, used 242s can be had for around $100, $200 for the HD version.
Probably half those threads, maybe more, end with the front driveshaft or the vari lok diffs being the issue.
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Probably half those threads, maybe more, end with the front driveshaft or the vari lok diffs being the issue.
Umm, no. I was only counting the ones with PC issues.

And there is quite a big difference in symptoms between driveshaft or vari lock issues and PC issues.

Build Thread
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Umm, no. I was only counting the ones with PC issues.

And there is quite a big difference in symptoms between driveshaft or vari lock issues and PC issues.
I know there are big differences in symptoms, however if you search "NP247", you'll see several threads with incorrect 247 titles and other issues.

I tried searching for failed 247 threads and I didn't find much at all.

Even searching "progressive" comes up pretty empty. There is talk about it, but rarely are they actual failures.
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I know there are big differences in symptoms, however if you search "NP247", you'll see several threads with incorrect 247 titles and other issues.

I tried searching for failed 247 threads and I didn't find much at all.

Even searching "progressive" comes up pretty empty. There is talk about it, but rarely are they actual failures.
Youve been around long enough to know the search function on here is pretty useless. That being said, if you search "NP242" youll find more threads of failed 247s with people recommending a swap to 242 than you will failed 242s.

Build Thread
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've also been around long enough to see that the t-case is rarely the problem.

It is most often speculation.

Even this thread, "it seems my VC isn't working". Not much verification or confirmation there is really a problem there.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #27
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
I've also been around long enough to see that the t-case is rarely the problem.

It is most often speculation.

Even this thread, "it seems my VC isn't working". Not much verification or confirmation there is really a problem there.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but thats all it is, opinion. Factually, you are flat out wrong.

You may think you are giving sound advice here, but these are not TJs. We are not dealing with short wheel bases, 35s on weak factory axles, or very stout 231 transfer cases. If you are in the grand cherokee section to help moderate, fine. But keep your TJ knowledge in the TJ section and let us WJ guys help out other WJ guys. Thanks

Build Thread
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #28
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have some links with documented 247 failures?

I don't think they are as common as you are implying and I'm being more realistic about it. That is my opinion and you can disagree.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #29
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

To the OP............

Go buy two quarts of 247 oil and drain and fill. Drain into a clean drain pan where you can see the oil. Any metal start looking at your options. No metal fill with fresh oil.

Then go find a parking lot and do three tight (steering lock tight) figure eights. Then turn and do three more starting from the opposite direction. That will purge all the air out. Keep the stereo off and windows down to listen for noise.

A few here have fixed their TC with a oil change. Though the figure 8's afterwards to purge the air out of the hydraulic pump may have been all that's necessary.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

The 247 is a tough case even behind a V8 in jeep's heaviest and most powerful model at the time. The 247s don't blow up any more than the 242s do so far as I can tell. The progressive coupler is a serviceable item, and it will wear. The 242 has no similar part, but that doesn't mean it's fair to say that the 247 is less reliable for that. That's like saying an open diff is better than a trac lok because the trak lok will need to be rebuilt eventually
Further to that, most of the PC failures are due to neglect or poor maintenance.
As TJ pointed out, most reported 247 failures aren't the 247 at all, or at worst are the PC. I have yet to see one "blow up". I'm sure it's happened, but I've not seen it. I'm not shy about crapping on the WJ's for being junk either, but the 247 is nothing to complain about.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.