Vacuum Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Vacuum Question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Vacuum Question

Curious if vacuum plus manifold pressure reading should be roughly equal to barometric pressure? Running Torque and watching realtime data I typically see a vac reading of 11-22 or so depending of course on load, with a manifold reading of 3-9 on average. I would expect that the two together should be roughly equal to barometric depending on load, and wonder if I may have a vac leak driving my gas mileage down.

Any thoughts or info are appreciated.

'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Son-of-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The answer to your question is Yes. Manifold absolute pressure is pressure above zero, and manifold vacuum is pressure below atmospheric. Add the two (expressed in the same units) and you get atmospheric pressure at your location.
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
jeepingcolorado

Is there a beginners guide to fixing a vacuum leak? I tried searching and didnt find anything on how exactly to proceed the cel's im getting are po442 and po445
jeepingcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Those are evap system codes, hoses run from pcv and resonator I believe in the engine compartment, along the left side rail of the unibody to the evap canister in the left rear wheel well. Look for cracks or splitting or just replace them.
'Son-of-Beast' - '02 WJ Limited, 4.7, 545RFE 5-spd Auto, Quadra-Drive, KOR 2.5" BB, Rancho RS5000's, Firestone Destination AT 265/70R17's, Flowmaster DeltaFlow 40, KMA/TAG armor, JK Fuel Door, Spyder CCFL Halo Projectors, LED Taillights, LED Interior Lights - Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...imited-956744/
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Son-of-Beast
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
The answer to your question is Yes. Manifold absolute pressure is pressure above zero, and manifold vacuum is pressure below atmospheric. Add the two (expressed in the same units) and you get atmospheric pressure at your location.
Thanks rm, that's what I thought but wanted a verification.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.