Urgent help needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Urgent help needed!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
mquiroz
2004 WJ 

Unhappy Urgent help needed!

Hi to all!

I urgently need your help (as usual).

Yesterday as I was driving out of my house my WJ died when I stopped at the intersection. I tried to restart it, but there was no battery, no instrument lights or anything, absolutely dead!

As I was driving to the bus terminal to travel to a weekend workshop, I had to push it to a safe spot and leave it there. I have until Monday and try to figure how to revive it.

Any help or suggestions on where to start will be appreciated.

Thanks

Max

mquiroz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
MadderThanMax

"Urgently" ...buy a new battery!!

Check also your connections to the battery that all are tight & clean..

Failing a new battery try a jump pack on it and see if you have anything..

Why is everything " Oh Please help me.. please help me urgently?" We know why you're here,we all come here for the same reason HELP! so begging bowl is unnecessary..just gets so weanie!
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
mquiroz
2004 WJ 

MadderthanMax, thank you for your quick reply!

Battery is new, but I'll check it anyway! Recently changed spark plugs and cleaned pcm terminals, moved the power distribution center to tighten battery tray, so maybe I unplugged or left something loose. Any fuse or relay that might cause this?

About the "urgent" label, it is because it is my only vehicle and have to get it running again as soon as I get back home.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
befirst
BeeKeeper

2000 WJ 

WOW ! Help and a kick in the face. Begging may be weanie but being rude is just ... RUDE.
befirst is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Cleaner13

I would check for obvious things, many times Ive seen and experienced the cables on the batteries are not tight because the previous battery had larger posts and the new one has smaller ones that cannot be clamped as tight.

Considering your jeep was running when it stopped, it very well could need an alternator. Maybe all the time driving was eating the voltage down on the battery and then once it died, you couldnt get it started.
Unread 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
palric

Hey guys I am sure madderthanmax is very keen to help and did not intend to be rude. I have said similar things with the best of intentions. But point noted.

mquiroz plan on bringing some tools with you, a flashlight and jumper cables.

You have excellent advice already I would add you might want to carefully retrace your work you mentioned. Could be something loose and a simple fix.

The batter posts are 13mm if I recall correctly. For what it is worth my JGC has has died twice - flat out dead no power no nothing and in each case it was the silly battery terminals that looked tight but were not tight enough. In my case the battery was fine.

Be sure to update this thread.

Good luck
palric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
MadderThanMax

Palric has nailed this one, Always keen to help & learn, even if I'm wrong (invariably most of the time lols and that's with 40 years racheting under my belt!) but as the inventor of "Scary Movies" (US Film industry) I see so many posts that sound so like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aTv_UyIF_4

When most come here for help anyhow? That's what a forum is for is it not - its not Faceache, its to learn, repair and pass on tips and trick of the trade..Surley I'm not the only one that feels this way..
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
befirst
BeeKeeper

2000 WJ 

Apologies for the RUDE comment. And yes, this forum is a place to learn and share. However we are not all professional mechanics, most of us are backyard mechanics who enjoy turning wrenches, some people have never turned a wrench. Some us have multiple cars and some have one. If my only car died and I wasn't sure how to get it running, it would be urgent to me. I don't think the use of one adverb was begging.
befirst is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #9
mquiroz
2004 WJ 

Situation Update!!

Before anything else, thank you all for your replies! All of them were helpful!!!

WJ is back home, came back from my weekend workshop and went to pick it up.

Steps taken:

1. Check battery with voltmeter --> Battery OK
2. Check battery cables and terminals --> OK
3. Check fuses and PDC --> Bingo! loose PDC terminals, tighten them and WJ starts at once.

A very simple fix to something that looked terrible.

Thanks again!!!
Unread 12-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
palric

Excellent news!

Thx for the update
palric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.