Update on the Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Update on the Jeep

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Wj Update on the Jeep

Ok well where should I start. Well, I found a black 99 limited 4x4 at a dealer near by on craigslist. He said that he might want to trade so I went up there the next day and we did all the test driving and everthing. His jeep was no where in the condition mine was. It had ugly leather and an exhaust leak. His was listed for 5000 while I purchased mine for 7000. I told him that the only reason I want to trade is so I can get a 4x4. He told me that most people want a 4x4 jeep and I agreed with him on that. But, when we were talking about the deal he said he would do the trade plus 1000 dollars. Im like hell no! His had 155,000 miles while mine only has 88,000 and I just put 700 dollars worth of tires on mine and he still wants 1000 dollars. So I just got out of that mess. Recently, here in Kansas we had a huge snow storm a couple weeks ago. We got about a foot of snow and I didnt even wanna risk my 2wd jeep to go in that. So, I waited for it to melt a little to see how it did. Let me just say that it did absolutley terrible lol. I got no traction what so ever even with A/T tires! I finally got somewhere I just had to motivate it a little by just going full throttle! Eventually I got where I need to go. Anyway the reason im telling you all this is cause I just want to let all you know that this whole process of buying what I thought was a 4wd jeep which turns out to be 2wd is a pain! So, its early march and I dont think were gonna get any more snow. If we do I just got my f150 back from the shop so Im good. I decided im gonna keep my jeep through the summer since it has a sunroof and is in great condition still. If anything changes ill let everyone know whats going on. Sorry for the long post! lol

B-Ball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Plus, one main reason I left the dealership is cause while I was test driving his black one he asked me why I wanted a 4x4. I said well it will be good to have for snow and I might be doing some off roading or some mudding. Get this, he told me that jeeps arent meant for off roading and mudding and that there meant for "hauling you on the pavement". I almost just pulled over and got out. I couldnt beleive he said that! lol Jeeps are for one thing and that is off road and mudding and I dont care if I have a 2wd jeep. Id rather mud a 2wd jeep that to waste my 4x4 just going on road. Im sorry, I just thought that was hilarious that he said that! lol I coudnt believe it!
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Still sounds like that dealer is a serious hole. In my life I think I've encountered maybe 3 or 4 dealers who weren't. Pitiful, really.

Anyway you should convert yours, that's what I'd do in your position. If you're patient, good deals on parts come along.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Yeah ive seriously considered it. It just sounds like it takes a lot of time and money and the know how. I just dont know where to start at all. What do you think? Should I get a truck or 4x4 jeep or actually convert it to 4x4?
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I'd look at it this way, you got some pretty serious coin in that vehicle already at $7k, and if you're patient and careful you can gather up the parts to make it 4wd for not a lot more. I found a 4wd WJ axle for $100 a while ago when I needed one, complete with brakes and everything - I'm driving around on it now. Those deals don't come along daily but they do happen. Meanwhile you'll learn a whole lot about doing your own car work in the process and never be at the mercy of scumbags again - even if you choose to pay someone else to do some work for you in the future, you'll know if they're trying to be slick with you or not - it's kinda cool to have that power.
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Schlotzky
2004 WJ 

I'm with funkduck on this one. You got screwed by a dealer. It's sad but all too common. Now you have a low mileage Jeep in good condition, so make it what you want. A 4x4 conversion is not insurmountable and not outrageously expensive if you are committed and look around for deals. It's not like you're rebuilding an engine here or converting a RWD sports car to 4wd. All the parts will mate up if you get them; it's mostly a matter of wrench turning. You'll learn a lot through the process about your Jeep and about vehicles in general, and you'll end up with a 4x4 Jeep that you can say YOU converted to 4x4. That will be a great feeling!
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
no2tracks
2000 WJ 

I would sell the truck, buy the jeep you want, swap all the good stuff from the 2wd to the new one and then sell the 2wd.

JMHO
no2tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Like funkduck said just save up and do the swap your self, the WJ 2wd to 4wd swap couldn't be any easier and will make you that much prouder of your Jeep plus it gives you points in the "wave" book lol.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Haha thanks guys! Ill really look into it and find out some more info about it. In your guys opinion where do you think I should start? Ill research more but I just want some other peoples opinion. Also, I know different places have parts for different prices but can you just give a rough estimate of how much it will cost? Thanks again!
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Ball25 View Post
Haha thanks guys! Ill really look into it and find out some more info about it. In your guys opinion where do you think I should start? Ill research more but I just want some other peoples opinion. Also, I know different places have parts for different prices but can you just give a rough estimate of how much it will cost? Thanks again!
On one of your numerous old threads from when you were.. uh.. figuring out what was going on... someone outlined for you all the parts you will need. Dig up that thread, print out the list and hang it on your wall. Then start looking on craigslist for those parts.

I bought a WJ Dana 30 (complete, with brakes) for $100. I consider that a very good price, but I've heard of people getting them free sometimes. A yard might charge you $400-500 for one, and you might get super lucky and fine one at pick-a-part on half price day for 75 bucks.

I bought a NP233 Transfer case (not for a WJ, it was for an S10) 3 years ago for $75 in fine shape, and had to fabricate a shifter for it myself - but again I considered that a very good price.

You're most likely to get a good deal if you find someone on Craigslist parting out a whole wrecked Jeep.. might be able to pull all the parts you need in one day (with help from buddies) and give the guy 500 bucks or whatever, cash goes a long way with most folks.

Don't forget that when you're done, you can sell your 2wd beam axle and interior gearshift bezel
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Wenatchee_Kid
2000 WJ 

B-Ball25, from my chair I think you could just about walk into a donor chassis.
Many individuals are facing disposal of JGC's and that have sound 4x4 running gear; a steady stream on Craigslist in my area. Give each your polite appeal and you might be calling a wrecker. You'd still need a place for two jeeps to sit, tools, and probably a shop space and skilled backup from others.
Your down time could be a couple weeks, paying _____ cash for some transition parts.

More feasibly, you can turn this one around for the best cash you can and walk into a 4x4 with more miles on it. Go look at what say $5500 will get you so you can compare.

So here you get a tradeoff between the unmolested dependability you probably now own, with the fun of a more trail-built rig with iffy more miles on it.
Which is more important to you?
Wenatchee_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Definitely convert to 4x4, I'm in the process of converting mine after I bent my 2wd axle beam in a wreck. It was the silver lining to my unfortunate luck. The 4wd axle was only $200 with quadra-drive (Limited slip) and was actually pretty simple to swap in. Since you have a V8, all you need would be an adaptor plate for the Transfer Case. Look up Dr. Wolcots 2wd to 4wd Conversion, Lots of pictures and info, and his WJ is a V8 too, Good luck!
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Can you give me a list of all the parts you are using? If you cant thats fine I just want to get an idea of what I need. Thanks!
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
tim0

2002 WJ 

The first thing you will need to figure out is, Will the 2wd transmission work with 4wd? I'm not sure if trans swap is required or if just the tail housing is different.
Next you need the trasfer case, there are several different ones you could use but you must have the correct drive shaft's that go with the transfer case you get. Then you need to get the correct front axle to match the gears you have in the rear axle.

Make sure to do the reasearch on what you have before buying any parts. This will save you $$$$$$ and insure you dont have to redo anything more than 1 time.
And as always there are always many people on here that can advise you on what you will need.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
B-Ball25
2003 WJ 

Yeah I just read drwolcots whole build thread. I know exactly what I need now haha he said he had fun converting his and makes you even more proud of driving your jeep after you put so much work in to it. I think im gonna give a whirl as soon a can get the funds. Once I start I will post pictures of everything!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.