Up a creek and lost my paddle... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Chaos_in_bloom

Up a creek and lost my paddle...

Probably get in trouble for this, but I'm not established enough to post in the wanted section. Not trying to sell or scam or anything, just NEED a fuel tank skid plate for my 04. The top front where the straps connected broke and the tank dropped out the bottom. Needless to say the tank itself has holes. Can get them around here reasonably priced, but can not for the life of me find a skid plate without a 500 price tag, and I'm not swimming in money. The ones in my range are rusted to crap as it is, and I'm not gonna temporarily fix a problem, just to redo it again in the near future. So, if anyone has one they don't need, please let me know your asking price, and shipping to 53916. I appreciate it.

Again. Not trying to bypass rules and regulations, just trying to get some help. Riding a motorcyle isn't always fun in bad weather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2017, 06:41 AM
detroitrust
2002 WJ 

Hey, I've got a non rusted one in excellent shape if you still need one. We can work out the details if interested. You can text me at 919-608-0390. I'm in NC.

chris
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 PM
akinshake

1999 WJ 

Garage
I guess up where you are at, a salvage yard is out of the question, huh?

99 4.0 Laredo Selectrac, 6.5" IRO long arms front and rear, 35" KM2, 17" Moab JK wheels,IRO transfer case skid, Clayton D44A truss, 4:56 gears and LSD axle swap.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Chaos_in_bloom

Yeah. Had wind of a tourist wreck and drove up to a friends this weekend. We got there and it was already gone. Apparently around here, Jeepers sense these things.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 PM
jra8858-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_in_bloom
Yeah. Had wind of a tourist wreck and drove up to a friends this weekend. We got there and it was already gone. Apparently around here, Jeepers sense these things.
Lol. This is what mine looked like when I just recently replaced it,

Name:  image-1576740238.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  771.9 KB
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 AM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

How did you get the bolts out?

I have to tackle this job this week and I'm terrified the skid plate bolts are going to snap. Surely given how our skid plates all rust, there must be similarly rusted bolts on your rig and mine.

I was going to drop the rear bumper and spray PB blaster on the tips of bolts if only to make them come out easier as long as they break free.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2017, 01:01 PM
jra8858-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205
How did you get the bolts out?
I removed the bumper cover for better access, soaked the bolts in PB Blaster, and used my breaker bar with my jack handle over it for more leverage to break each one free. After that used my jack handle over my long half inch craftsman ratchet and removed each bolt one by one. I'm not gonna lie... those bolts were a bear. Each quarter turn took as much strength as the previous. Luckily I only ended up snapping one bolt. Enough of it was left sticking out that I could put a nut on it if I ever wanted but haven't bothered yet and have t had any issues.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 PM
BDW
2004 WJ 

One trick on rusty bolts- once they break loose and move they often get even harder to turn as more rust gets drawn into the space between the male and female threads. If they tighten up again as you unthread them, then retighten the fastener, and then just keep working it back and forth while periodically adding penetrating oil. I freed one today that I probably ran back and forth 50 times with an air wrench, just getting a bit more each time until all the thread was free. One like that will snap if you just keep twisting in one direction.

04 WJ 4.0/NP242, 3" OME, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 & JKR wheels, 44A, 4.56, ARB lockers, & more
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

I pulled my bumper and drilled small holes that line up with the bolts, then gave a generous spray of PB Blaster. Hopefully this will ease removal and I can tack the holes when I'm done.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.