Unusual WJ HVAC issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Unusual WJ HVAC issue

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 07-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
PumaZJ

Strange update. One day this weekend the A/C was working perfectly, blowing nice and cold. Then yesterday I went out and it decided to not work again and only blow out heat. Pretty sure the doors are not broken but the actuator for the door is getting some funky signals. Maybe the HVAC controller itself?

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaZJ View Post
Strange update. One day this weekend the A/C was working perfectly, blowing nice and cold. Then yesterday I went out and it decided to not work again and only blow out heat. Pretty sure the doors are not broken but the actuator for the door is getting some funky signals. Maybe the HVAC controller itself?
I had that happen to me twice last month. i finally cleaned my battery terminals up real good and shiny. Put some of that red terminal protector stuff on and the felt washers under the posts. Hasn't happened, since.
If you want to try replacing the HVAC controller, I think I saw someone that one for sale in the classifieds for around $80 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
PumaZJ

Just wanted to post an update. I pulled the actuator behind the glovebox and the shaft going into the blend door came out with it. :bigeyes:

Apparently, the new (aftermarket) actuator put too much pressure on the white plastic piece and broke it. Fortunately, I was able to pull the one off of the old blend door, swap it in, and plugged in the OEM actuator and all is working for now. Here is a pic of the broken plastic shaft.

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. I pulled the actuator behind the glovebox and the shaft going into the blend door came out with it. :bigeyes:

Apparently, the new (aftermarket) actuator put too much pressure on the white plastic piece and broke it. Fortunately, I was able to pull the one off of the old blend door, swap it in, and plugged in the OEM actuator and all is working for now. Here is a pic of the broken plastic shaft.
First time I have seen a broken actuator. Be happy it was on that side :-) Glad you got it fixed.

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
PumaZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
First time I have seen a broken actuator. Be happy it was on that side :-) Glad you got it fixed.

Seriously. The actuator wasn't broken, I believe it just placed too much pressure on the plastic blend door shaft and broke it. The bad thing is that the same aftermarket actuator is also on the rear door. Hope it holds up!

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:

Seriously. The actuator wasn't broken, I believe it just placed too much pressure on the plastic blend door shaft and broke it. The bad thing is that the same aftermarket actuator is also on the rear door. Hope it holds up!
A couple of months is not long for the blend door shaft to break. Did whoever replaced the blend doors give a warranty, or did you do it? That's why I went with the aluminum doors and shaft :-)

Unread 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Kmacon

Any update on your problem/solution? I've been thinking along the same line. Just finished the tare-down where I replaced blend doors and recirc door. Afterwards I am getting erratic temp control. I can get high heat or no heat from the same setting, say 70 F. If I go to high temp setting then back to 70 I get high heat. If I go to Lo setting then back to 70 I will have no heat. With each of these adjustments I hear the doors change but the final position of something is different and the system is not adjusting the temp back to 70. This makes me think as you were that the controller is not functioning properly. Any new info you can post?
Kmacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #23
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmacon View Post
Any update on your problem/solution? I've been thinking along the same line. Just finished the tare-down where I replaced blend doors and recirc door. Afterwards I am getting erratic temp control. I can get high heat or no heat from the same setting, say 70 F. If I go to high temp setting then back to 70 I get high heat. If I go to Lo setting then back to 70 I will have no heat. With each of these adjustments I hear the doors change but the final position of something is different and the system is not adjusting the temp back to 70. This makes me think as you were that the controller is not functioning properly. Any new info you can post?
Did you try the calibration procedure? Bottom of the page: http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.