Unsolvable problem with the WJ. HELP - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Unsolvable problem with the WJ. HELP

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

I'm about ready to throw my jeep off a cliff. Is there anything else I can check? P1595 is killing me

DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
stonefarg-NM
1999 WJ 

I had some similar symptoms with my 4.7 - turned out to be low fuel pressure. Replaced filter/regulator problems solved. It was throwing a different code (P0171) that made me think twice, but in the end the low fuel pressure caused the odd code. A pressure check at the rail will tell you.
Just a thought #goodluck

via mobile
stonefarg-NM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
1hotrod
2004 WJ 

Since you stated that you smell gas, it's posssible you have a weak ignition. Have you pulled the plugs to check for fouling/ carbon deposits? Or possibly a fuel delivery problem like large variations in fuel presssure. Check fuel rail pressure with a gauge, not sure what it is supposed to be, but I would guess between 50 and 60 psi. I sure someone here can help you with that number. Anyone??
1hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotrod View Post
Since you stated that you smell gas, it's posssible you have a weak ignition. Have you pulled the plugs to check for fouling/ carbon deposits? Or possibly a fuel delivery problem like large variations in fuel presssure. Check fuel rail pressure with a gauge, not sure what it is supposed to be, but I would guess between 50 and 60 psi. I sure someone here can help you with that number. Anyone??
Great idea! I'm definitely doing this, so I'll reiterate what you just said. Anyone know what PSI I'm looking for?
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
stonefarg-NM
1999 WJ 

Its 49psi for the 4.7...

via mobile
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefarg-NM View Post
Its 49psi for the 4.7...

via mobile
I have the 4.0. You know that one?
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
stonefarg-NM
1999 WJ 

According to the FSM, either motor should be 49.2 psi +/- 5 psi on the rail test port at idle. Pressures outside the limits suggest specific problems.

via mobile
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
stonefarg-NM
1999 WJ 

Below 44.2 is bad filter/regulator, bad pump, or other kinked/obstructed fuel line. Above 54.2 is bad filter/regulator. My pressure was 35 so I decided to try filter/regulator & got lucky first try.

Do you have a FSM? if not, one can be downloaded @ jeepslimited.com I think there's a registration and small server fee. Good source of info.
Good luck

via mobile
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #24
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Forget about P1595, it's a fluke. Now how corroded are your battery cables?
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep-tile View Post
Forget about P1595, it's a fluke. Now how corroded are your battery cables?
They were cleaned a couple months ago so not too terribly bad. Could they cause the code to throw? But how would this explain the stalling and lack of power?
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakMan96 View Post
They were cleaned a couple months ago so not too terribly bad. Could they cause the code to throw? But how would this explain the stalling and lack of power?
The ECU controls anything from ignition timing to air/fuel ratio to ability to maintain idle, and it particularly doesn't like low voltage, so there you go. That can easily explain stalling, lack of power, and bogus codes; and that would be the very first thing I'd check.

These are battery cable connectors I just pulled out of my WJ that didn't look "terribly bad" on the surface. Turns out they were 95% corroded...
dsc01516.jpg  
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
DakMan96
1999 WJ 

Quote:

The ECU controls anything from ignition timing to air/fuel ratio to ability to maintain idle, and it particularly doesn't like low voltage, so there you go. That can easily explain stalling, lack of power, and bogus codes; and that would be the very first thing I'd check.

These are battery cable connectors I just pulled out of my WJ that didn't look "terribly bad" on the surface. Turns out they were 95% corroded...
Might be the best advice yet, now I need to get my lazy self to do it. I have the flu right now but I still might try tomorrow to at least get a good look at it. Thanks a ton man
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Mine were just like that...totally corroded on the inside... just suggested this could be problem to someone else here and it WAS (different issue though).
Take a wire brush to the corroded wires / baking soda-water mix / contact cleaner too..if you have some.

As you know these WJ's have dual cables for each terminal so you either mickey-mouse your cables to fit some "standard terminals" or buy whole new cable a$$embly ..or spend some time doing it this way(I did this with mine):

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ables-1144633/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...index1614.html

And for your flu: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Flu...ingMethod=p13n

This is the same as good ole Theraflu ...which was discontinued...works great (make sure to get "daytime" formula )
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
dinorigginwj

My 4.7 has almost the exact same drive ability concern as the original poster. Very interested to see how this turns out. I have suspected fuel pressure issues as well as battery terminal corrosion. If I fix mine I'll post results.
dinorigginwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.