Unexpected MPG for JGC WJ 01 4.7 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Unexpected MPG for JGC WJ 01 4.7

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
doc8669
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami5th
I should also mention that I am using Bosch o2 sensors.
What was your mpg before installing the Bosch o2 sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

doc8669 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip
Dump the crown TPS and get one from MOPAR. These things are very very picky about their sensors. Anything electronic, use nothing but Mopar.
Plus 100.

And when did you put the Bosch sensors in?

Mopar and Bosch do not get along very well. And using them with no issues associated with using then seems to be the exception.

Mopar or NTK brand sensors are what get along with the PCM.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #18
miami5th
2001 WJ 

my mpg before the bosch sensor was a little lower, probably 17/18 city 21/22 highway
miami5th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
Plus 100.

And when did you put the Bosch sensors in?

Mopar and Bosch do not get along very well. And using them with no issues associated with using then seems to be the exception.

Mopar or NTK brand sensors are what get along with the PCM.
Pretty sure Bosch makes the stock O2 sensors for Mopar. Also Bosch kind of invented the o2 sensor so I'd be surprised if it caused any negative affects.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #20
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

And I know a lot of people that installed them thinking what your thinking and had nothing but problems.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #21
veiri86

2003 WJ 

A new update.

I unplugged the battery again for almost two hours this time, then plugged it again, and did my normal trips, now am getting around 16 mpg highway.

But from now on no any electronic for the jeep other than Mopar.

Talking about the oxygen sensors, am supposed to have one before the cat and one after, when i went under the car, i found one place before the cat but there was no sensor, just a plug, please check the photo below, can it be like this?!!!!

forumrunner_20130503_143534.jpg

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
Pretty sure Bosch makes the stock O2 sensors for Mopar. Also Bosch kind of invented the o2 sensor so I'd be surprised if it caused any negative affects.
Denso and NTK were the factory O2s. And, if you dont buy them directly from Mopar (even if they have the exact same part numbers) they are not made to Mopar spec. Ask me how I know. I dropped almost $1000 on O2 sensors a couple of months ago.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #23
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiri86 View Post
A new update.

I unplugged the battery again for almost two hours this time, then plugged it again, and did my normal trips, now am getting around 16 mpg highway.

But from now on no any electronic for the jeep other than Mopar.

Talking about the oxygen sensors, am supposed to have one before the cat and one after, when i went under the car, i found one place before the cat but there was no sensor, just a plug, please check the photo below, can it be like this?!!!!

Attachment 620590
You may have that configuration because you are not subject to US emissions standards?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veiri86 View Post

Attachment 620590
Yes, That extra sensor is for US emissions standards. You should be fine!
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
Yes, That extra sensor is for US emissions standards. You should be fine!
So is it possible my JGC runs without O2 sensors?
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
doc8669
2002 WJ 

So here's a question, what should the city/hwy mileage be on a 4.7L H.O V8 because mine evics reading between 12 hwy and 9/10 city(02 wj overland)

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc8669 View Post
So here's a question, what should the city/hwy mileage be on a 4.7L H.O V8 because mine evics reading between 12 hwy and 9/10 city(02 wj overland)

Thats about where I am but Im also lifted 4" on 32" KMs and around 500# in extras.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
doc8669
2002 WJ 

I researched it and online states 17 hwy and 12 city for the H.O model. I'm no where near that

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc8669 View Post
I researched it and online states 17 hwy and 12 city for the H.O model. I'm no where near that

Ignore your evic. It is always wrong and never consistently so (could be over, could be under although they are generally optimistic). Calculate your mileage tank over tank. You aren't far off from what you should be getting, I average about 13mpg in mixed driving in my 02 overland with 2" lift and 31's. I'm sure if I could find a straight, flat piece of highway I would be amazed at what it could do, but that's just a dream where I live.
Do an odometer check! Half the people posting their fuel numbers don't even know what one is, and it's vital to knowing your true consumption. Try not to pay too much attention to the people who are averaging 25mpg on their lifted WJ, they are on another planet where all the roads are downhill. EPA ratings of that era were notoriously generous too.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
doc8669
2002 WJ 

I was thinking of installing and CAI to get better numbers but I'm trying to decide if its worth it or not. We have some pretty cold winters up here and it would hinder the fuel consumption with the colder temperatures. I would probably have to put the stock one back and I don't want to do that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.