The Ultimate Death Wobble Fix Thread (Phase 2) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Ultimate Death Wobble Fix Thread (Phase 2)

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

View Poll Results: What was the cause/fix for your death wobble?
Tie Rod Ends 28 44.44%
Track Bar Bushings 32 50.79%
LCA Bushings 2 3.17%
Tire Balance 8 12.70%
Alignment 13 20.63%
Tires Themselves 6 9.52%
Power Steering 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Exclamation The Ultimate Death Wobble Fix Thread (Phase 2)

As promised, here is the final result...

Death Wobble seems to be a plague that we all fear and can't stand. There are a million threads all over the place about it and for someone who is suffering from it, you will probably spend a lifetime just reading about how to get rid of it.

The purpose of this thread is to help sufferers of DW by giving them a head start in resolving the problem.

In this thread I compiled possible causes of DW:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...e-1-a-1154736/

For those of you who have experienced and solved death wobble, please "vote" in this poll what it was that fixed it for you. The idea here is that the most common/likely causes of DW will become visible in the poll. That way sufferers have a starting point and can then work down the list until they fix their death wobble!

The method is flawed a little because once you vote, you're done and if you get DW again for a different reason, you can't really vote again. Hopefully despite the flaws, the ending result will still work and be beneficial to everyone!

I made the poll multiple choice so that those situations can still be captured.

Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

tj and xj's included? or just wj?
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Good question. Because the steering and suspension systems are somewhat related I suppose other Jeeps wouldn't hurt. No leaf spring fronts though.
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
orb
2003 WJ 

Haven't wobbled yet with my new tires, we'll see how long that holds up. Drove about 250 miles last weekend and mostly on the highway so that is promising.

For the newcomers, shop I took it to said the tires caused it and it has only happened once.
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
vdubracer33
2000 WJ 

my 00 grand cherokee had a severe death wobble. i replaced the steering stabilizer and it still had it. i went on ebay and bought all the tierods and balljoints. come to find out it was all a waste of money because i just needed the track bar to be replaced
vdubracer33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got death wobble on my old TJ due to a bent tie rod, I was running 35" MTR's on it and never had issues other than that. After I lifted my WJ and slapped new 32" KM2's I had a slight wobble, adjusted the toe in to 1/8" and it drives great
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
SloLearner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A few months back I installed a JKS body lift, MML, and 1" spacer. Death wobbles ever since. It started a lot less violent at first..and I got lazy and didn't do an alignment for a couple weeks. When I got the alignment..the toe was way off and they adjusted that which helped a lot..but didn't fix it. I then purchased cam bolts to adjust caster which also helped..but didn't fix it. I do have uneven wear on my tires and suspect they may be contributing. And my shocks are prolly up for replacement too.

Here's my opinion...my jeep was flawless before the lift...I don't care if my tires r worn uneven or any other thing that was the same before the lift. Obviously the general consensus on DW is completely due to geometry and play/slack in the system (due to subpar geometry im assuming).

When i am at lower speeds and turn sharply (riding through my neighborhood) I can feel the slack in my steering, mainly when I hit bumps, potholes, etc...It feels like I should just be able to sneak under the front end and tighten something that is extremely loose but can't find it. That same slack/play at 46-50MPH is obviously what makes a "power-though" zone unless I wanna slow down and try again....
Anyone else's thoughts?
SloLearner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
ksmith38a
2002 WJ 

I am fighting the death wobble just now. '02 car stock suspension, no changes, no lift.

So far I have replaced;

Lower track arms
Upper track arms + bushes on axle
Track bar
Shock absobers
Steering damper

Alignment has been checked and set and checked and set again but it still does it.

I can go for days without it and the hit an insignificant bump and it sets the wobble going.

Running out of parts to change!
ksmith38a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

ksmith, check your ball joints.

i voted track bar bushings, since thats what caused mines
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
tsconver
2003 WJ 

not sure of the value of this poll as DW is rarely just one cause and is usually due to cummulative wear on many components.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
ksmith38a
2002 WJ 

Wj

I knew I had left something off the list .

Upper and lower ball joints on the steering knuckles done on both sided.

My track bar was shot too.

As someone else said its not just always one part.
Every time I change a part it seems ok for a couple of weeks then its back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysHI View Post
ksmith, check your ball joints.

i voted track bar bushings, since thats what caused mines
ksmith38a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

hows the condition of your tires? i know for me, once instance of death wobble was caused by some badly worn out mud terrains, that were so out of balance, it wasn't even funny. once i got a set of new tires, which i really needed and was overdue for, my death wobble went away.

since you're stock, i'm assuming you don't have an adjustable track bar. in my case, my JKS adjustable track bar caused lots of problems whenever the jamb nut would come loose, no matter how hard and often i tightened it. i ended up having the jamb nut tack welded in placed, and that solved that problem of death wobble too.
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
Vaschetty

Hi Guys.

This is a great thread - thanks!!

I am fighting death wobble right now. I just fitted 2 inch spring spacers (as a temporary lift until I can afford 3" IRO) and now I have instant death wobble (never had it before). I have checked for play in all suspension components and the only thing that I could really find was excess play in the TRE on the knuckle end of the drag link. Initially I discounted this as the cause because everywhere else on the internerd I have read about DW nobody has mentioned TREs. This is the first time I have read about it - thanks to this pole I will now change the TRE and hopefully conquor the dreaded DW - then I will vote.

A big thanks from me!!!
Vaschetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

I didn't vote, because I agree, it is usually more than one factor. I have had parts go bad without DW, that I had replaced during a bout with DW. Even with all new parts, you could still feal it want to "try". Biggest difference was after toe and castor were adjusted. Waited on doing those til all parts were replaced for the most accurate alignment.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
tbone1004
2004 WJ 

Didn't vote because my cause wasn't up there. Mine was caused by the adjustable trackbar nut shaking itself loose. Put locktite on it and it's gone
tbone1004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.