UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #46
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschris
sorry to have started a war.. just looking for leads on parts.. came across an 04 Laredo yesterday with some cosmetic issues and a strong running 4.0 for a reasonable price, so I think I will just meld the two together and go back to having a 4.0.. what apparently caused my 4.7s demise was the timing guide exploded and plugged the oil pickup with plastic pieces and starved it for oil.. which makes sense.. I found all kinds of plastic parts in the base, and upon closer inspection discovered some in the pickup tube..
Also I think you are making a smart move just going to the 4.0. It will most likely in the long run save your wallet from crying. The only things i had to fix in my 4.0 with currently 102k miles was a serpentine belt, front u joint, and a rust spot on the right rear wheel well. Once i got the rust spot fixed, i took the old trimming that was under the window (white stripe) and put a new one on it.

wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #47
WJefy
2004 WJ 

Alright, so maybe a little late to the party...
I have a 4.7HO that still runs fine and I'd like any tips on how to keep it that way.
IMO, if you have the know how to swap in any motor other than what it originally came with, you have more courage than me. Good luck to you with that! I am an old(er) Mustang guy. The new Coyote engine is NOTHING like the old 302. It is OHC instead of OHV. It is part of the Modular family Ford created in the mid-90s. I doubt it shares any parts with any of the old push-rod motors. Ford resurrected the 302 moniker from the late 60s for the Boss name and the 5.0 badge from the early 90s cars probably because the folks that can afford them are old(er) and had those cars as their first hot rods - which was something Chrysler and Chevy did, too. All smart moves. All that said, I think you could shoehorn in whatever you want and getting it to run shouldn't be that big a deal provided you have the resources. Again I say, good luck to you! Post some pics if you can. I'd like to watch.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
SVTFOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJefy
The new Coyote engine is NOTHING like the old 302. It is OHC instead of OHV.
All modulars are OHV. I think you meant to say, "instead of being a center-v cam engine" or "instead of being a pushrod engine"

I am sure it's not the "only" one but, the only widely known engine that locates the valves in the block, instead of the cylinder head, is the Ford flat head engine.
SVTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #49
WJefy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFOX
All modulars are OHV. I think you meant to say, "instead of being a center-v cam engine" or "instead of being a pushrod engine" I am sure it's not the "only" one but, the only widely known engine that locates the valves in the block, instead of the cylinder head, is the Ford flat head engine.
More or less. You are right, the differentiation is the placement of the cam. I've just always heard/used OHV to represent pushrod motors as away to distinguish them from motors that are specifically OHC.
WJefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #50
SVTFOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJefy
More or less. You are right, the differentiation is the placement of the cam. I've just always heard/used OHV to represent pushrod motors as away to distinguish them from motors that are specifically OHC.
Must be a regional thing.
SVTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #51
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Do any of you know what all that needs to be done to fit a 351 Cleveland in a WJ? I know its rare for a 351 to be in anything other than a Ford but I don't particularly like Chevy Engines.
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19
Do any of you know what all that needs to be done to fit a 351 Cleveland in a WJ? I know its rare for a 351 to be in anything other than a Ford but I don't particularly like Chevy Engines.
You're stupid to try that. You literally need to change everything. Custom wire harnesses, custom engine mounts, you'll need to figure out a way to get all the electrical gauges to work. It would end up being a very expensive job

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #53
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04
You're stupid to try that. You literally need to change everything. Custom wire harnesses, custom engine mounts, you'll need to figure out a way to get all the electrical gauges to work. It would end up being a very expensive job
Didn't know I was stupid. Let me ask, who are you? Show me your PHD that would give you the authority to label me as stupid. I never said i was going to, but it would be cool to do.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #54
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

Alright dude, no need to get your panties in bunch, it would be more cost efficient to buy a car with a 351 in it. A more interesting swap with much more potential would be to put a 4bt in there.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
Alright dude, no need to get your panties in bunch, it would be more cost efficient to buy a car with a 351 in it. A more interesting swap with much more potential would be to put a 4bt in there.
Don't waste your time responding to this guy, he's seen the schematics and knows how much better other engines are than the 4.7, not to mention he's read about all the problems everyone has had on the internet. On top of that all Ford 302's/5.0's are basically the same and engine tech from 20 years ago is far more reliable than anything out there today. Don't forget, he is getting a degree in computer and electrical engineering, so don't question him on mechanical engineering and engine design. Afterall, the piece of paper he'll end up with will prove that we are all wrong, all of the time.

At this point this thread is so far off base it just needs to die.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #56
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Don't waste your time responding to this guy, he's seen the schematics and knows how much better other engines are than the 4.7, not to mention he's read about all the problems everyone has had on the internet. On top of that all Ford 302's/5.0's are basically the same and engine tech from 20 years ago is far more reliable than anything out there today. Don't forget, he is getting a degree in computer and electrical engineering, so don't question him on mechanical engineering and engine design. Afterall, the piece of paper he'll end up with will prove that we are all wrong, all of the time. At this point this thread is so far off base it just needs to die.
Yeah because engines today are all mechanical. This day and age there is a thing called Software. I dont know if youve heard of it. Might want to look it up
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #57
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04
I agree with you. But to come out and say that Id be stupid to do that is kind of blatant. I understand completely that it would be a waste of time (and money) but I still think it would be a cool project.
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #58
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
Yeah because engines today are all mechanical. This day and age there is a thing called Software. I dont know if youve heard of it. Might want to look it up
Holy cow, are you really this dense? Rather than point out all the inaccuracies in all of your posts in this thread, I'm just going to be done with it.

Good luck.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #59
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFOX View Post

Must be a regional thing.
I've lived in New Jersey, New York, and North Carolina and I've always heard and used the terms "OHV" and "OHC." Car manufactures have also used these terms. Where do you live being as you've never heard of them?
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #60
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Holy cow, are you really this dense? Rather than point out all the inaccuracies in all of your posts in this thread, I'm just going to be done with it. Good luck.
Oh thank you, great and mercifulness Jeeples. I would be so devastated if you corrected me on all my inaccuracies. Psh, your a pot calling the kettle black. Quit acting like your **** don't stink.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.