UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
champ926
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschris
So apparently my engine is pretty much toast.. I spun two rod bearings, which scored the crank up pretty good.. and broke a rod cap...looking at all my options.. I own a small salvage yard, and have the parts to put a 4.8LS engine in there.. has anyone else done this? Or, where can I get aftermarket rods and a crank kit for the HO? nobody seems to have these parts available..
Airram.com has after market scat rods and ross pistons. And everything else to rebuild the motor

champ926 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

If you are thinking swap why not go with a Supercharged 3800 like in the GTP and Regal GS?

As for sludge... it is not unique to the 4.7. Got tons of stories from my old man's service station related to sludge...
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post

What fantasy land do you live in that will allow for a 15+ year old motor to be installed into a late model vehicle and still pass emissions?
I live in the magical land of North Dakota where we have no such things as emmison tests that doth need be passed! Im sorry but I had to say it
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
So sludge issues to you means the crud that builds up on the filler cap? Yeah, ok, you're right that totally means engine failure If you wanna talk about a Chrysler motor with legitimate sludge issues, go do a little reading about the 2.7 V-6. As for your comment about the map system, what exactly are you referring to? Which produced a mighty 215 HP in 2001. Yeah, but past 2001 they were no longer part of any regular production vehicle.
What do you mean what am I referring towith map system failures? Dont you know what that is? The manifold absolute pressure sensor is one of the sensors used in an internal combustion engine's electronic control system. Engines that use a MAP sensor are typically fuel injected. Thats why I said ouch. 4.7 are prone to map sensor failures. That failing is bad. And also what do you mean the 302 is not in any more production vehicles. Ever hear of the Ford Mustang 302 Boss?
wjjeep19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highschool_WJ
I live in the magical land of North Dakota where we have no such things as emmison tests that doth need be passed! Im sorry but I had to say it
Thank you man. Some people just apply things to where they live. Im in Pennsylvania and there are people putting 1970s Chevy 350s and Ford 351 small blocks in theres.
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeep19 View Post
Thank you man. Some people just apply things to where they live. Im in Pennsylvania and there are people putting 1970s Chevy 350s and Ford 351 small blocks in theres.
Pennsylvania leaves emissions tests at the discretion of the county, no?
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah
Pennsylvania leaves emissions tests at the discretion of the county, no?
As far as I know we go in regions not countys
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
And also what do you mean the 302 is not in any more production vehicles. Ever hear of the Ford Mustang 302 Boss?
Wait....you think the new Coyote 5.0 is in any way related to the old 302?

Yeah you got some learning to do son.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Wait....you think the new Coyote 5.0 is in any way related to the old 302? Yeah you got some learning to do son.
I said put a 302 in it. I did not say the old or new. And unless im incorrect, I am pretty sure they are still 302 Cubic Inches. Aren't they?
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Wait....you think the new Coyote 5.0 is in any way related to the old 302? Yeah you got some learning to do son.
Also the reason why I said to put the 302 in it because it, in my opinion, is one of the most reliable v8s. You still get the power and it will fit in the WJ. Where the 5.7 Hemi, 350, 351 (which those three are pretty common for engine swaps) will not fit in the WJ.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

If I could reverse time I would. I would reverse to the days where you had room to work under the hood and fit bigger engines. I wish I could take it back to the AMC days with the Grand Wagoneer 6.6l 401 big block. Or the CJ7 Renegade. But unfortunately time travel is only a theory with the possibilities of wormholes that are the size of centimeters and are in space for mere seconds.
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Let me also clear things up. Im not trying to sound like a prick. I think the 4.7 would be great, if it wasn't for the lack of engineering in it. Looking at the schematics of the engine, it isn't that impressive and is why it probably has sludge issues. Also with the map system, thats poor software engineering with the sensors. Idk what those Jeep engineers were doing, not saying that I'd do a better job, because im still in college majoring in Computer Engineering and minoring in Electrical Engineering. I think you've provided valid points, which I can't particularly say of some of the others.
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Also the reason why I said to put the 302 in it because it, in my opinion, is one of the most reliable v8s. You still get the power and it will fit in the WJ. Where the 5.7 Hemi, 350, 351 (which those three are pretty common for engine swaps) will not fit in the WJ.
The new 302s haven't been out hardly long enough to prove longevity and reliability... According to you at most only 6-7 years but in reality on 2-3 years in the new mustangs. These 4.7s we deal with have in most cases 10 to almost 15 years on them, and if taken care of over 200000 miles. In my opinion a 302 out of a new mustang doesn't seem like a cost effective swap vs. the millions of Ls motors and 4.7s out there. I personally am a chevy guy, but would just leave a 4.7 in the op's jeep. I'd think you'd spend more money and time trying to make the Ls work (or 302) than a decent salvage 4.7 motor would set you back.
Unread 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold01wj
The new 302s haven't been out hardly long enough to prove longevity and reliability... According to you at most only 6-7 years but in reality on 2-3 years in the new mustangs. These 4.7s we deal with have in most cases 10 to almost 15 years on them, and if taken care of over 200000 miles. In my opinion a 302 out of a new mustang doesn't seem like a cost effective swap vs. the millions of Ls motors and 4.7s out there. I personally am a chevy guy, but would just leave a 4.7 in the op's jeep. I'd think you'd spend more money and time trying to make the Ls work (or 302) than a decent salvage 4.7 motor would set you back.
The 302 still generally has the same design. Not part to part but its generally the same. And if its such a hassle then I would put the 5.3. Really, i would put anything in it (basically) before I put a 4.7. I personally like Ford Motors or AMC Engines but will not rule out the prestigious 350. But in this case even a 5.7 hemi wont fit, let alone a 350.
Unread 11-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
What do you mean what am I referring towith map system failures? Dont you know what that is? The manifold absolute pressure sensor is one of the sensors used in an internal combustion engine's electronic control system. Engines that use a MAP sensor are typically fuel injected. Thats why I said ouch. 4.7 are prone to map sensor failures. That failing is bad. And also what do you mean the 302 is not in any more production vehicles. Ever hear of the Ford Mustang 302 Boss?
Huh? to be honest, I have never hear of a 4.7 having a map sensor failure, ever.
Now TPS, yes, they wear out, but it does not blow up motors, just replace and good as new.
I have 200,000 miles on my 4.7, no map failure no sludge build up, nothing you keep going on about.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.