JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ugh-4-7-ho-toast-1747514/)

gschris 11-01-2013 06:21 PM

UGH.. 4.7 HO is TOAST
 
So apparently my engine is pretty much toast.. I spun two rod bearings, which scored the crank up pretty good.. and broke a rod cap...looking at all my options.. I own a small salvage yard, and have the parts to put a 4.8LS engine in there.. has anyone else done this? Or, where can I get aftermarket rods and a crank kit for the HO? nobody seems to have these parts available..

Darnice 11-01-2013 07:30 PM

How would you interface the LS to the Jeep electronics? Not easy to do. What caused the 4.7 to fail?

SVTFOX 11-08-2013 06:52 PM

Subbing in! I am curious about this swap as well. There is a guy that completed the swap. He posted videos on YouTube.

kentman 11-09-2013 01:04 AM

Did you overheat the motor, or was there some sort of oil issue? I am curious to understand your failure mode to help the rest of us from losing out similarly if it was something preventable.

Cirruslydakota 11-09-2013 08:09 AM

Why the 4.8? Its weak sauce for a V8 especially when the 5.3 is the same physical size. Then again if it was possible I'd shoe horn in the 6.0, 6.2. Wonder if the 8.1 would fit...

wjjeep19 11-09-2013 08:50 AM

Another typical 4.7 problem. If you want something with more power swap a 302 in there. At least that will almost last as long as a 4.0 but has more power that you want. I myself prefer reliability over power.

Jeeples 11-09-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjeep19 (Post 17564250)
Another typical 4.7 problem. If you want something with more power swap a 302 in there. At least that will almost last as long as a 4.0 but has more power that you want. I myself prefer reliability over power.

Yeah sure.

What fantasy land do you live in that will allow for a 15+ year old motor to be installed into a late model vehicle and still pass emissions?

FWIW, any engine run low on oil can spin crank or main bearings, even your beloved 4.0. However the 4.0 does generally hold up to being neglected better than the 4.7. Its the broken piston skirts and cracking heads that kill the 99+ 4.0's.

wjjeep19 11-09-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeples
Yeah sure. What fantasy land do you live in that will allow for a 15+ year old motor to be installed into a late model vehicle and still pass emissions? FWIW, any engine run low on oil can spin crank or main bearings, even your beloved 4.0. However the 4.0 does generally hold up to being neglected better than the 4.7. Its the broken piston skirts and cracking heads that kill the 99+ 4.0's.

I live in the fantasy land where Saleen Parnelli Jones came out with the 302 in 2007 and then the second gen 302 was brought back in the 2012-2013 years.

Yes you're right about the running low on oil but the last time I checked my 4.0 isnt infamous for sludge, or map system failures. Ouch!

Bandit84 11-09-2013 01:40 PM

No engine is exempt from getting sludge, proper maintenance and common sense plays a big part on reducing sludge and engine wear.

I'd like to see that 4.8 swap, might be more cost effective to just rebuild the 4.7.

wjjeep19 11-09-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit84
No engine is exempt from getting sludge, proper maintenance and common sense plays a big part on reducing sludge and engine wear. I'd like to see that 4.8 swap, might be more cost effective to just rebuild the 4.7.

I never said mine was exempt. But even with proper care the 4.7 still gets sludge. I know many people who use 5w30 and 10w30 and change every 3500 miles who still had a sludge issue. I also know ones who get sludge using diesel oil and oil cleaners. Its how its designed and a big part of it is the filler tube. Its all over the Jeep forum and all over the dodge dakota and durango forums. So not only do people i know personally have sludge issues, but its on 3 separate forums!!! That seems like indisputable evidence that it does.

skain8 11-09-2013 02:59 PM

219 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjeep19 (Post 17570353)
Its all over the Jeep forum and all over the dodge dakota and durango forums. So not only do people i know personally have sludge issues, but its on 3 separate forums!!! That seems like indisputable evidence that it does.

Now that's a winning argument. :rolleyes:

wjjeep19 11-09-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skain8
Now that's a winning argument. :rolleyes:

Seems like a pretty decent argument to me. Have you ever seen a sludged engine with the valve gasket off? Im sure you have. And every time i seen them it was my friends' 4.7s. As for the forums, those are people too but i guess they would go out of their way to find a picture of a sludged 4.7 on google and post it on there like they have a problem. So yes they are good arguments. Also to mention what i previously stated about the design of the engine and the filler tube.

Cirruslydakota 11-09-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeples (Post 17566314)

Yeah sure.

What fantasy land do you live in that will allow for a 15+ year old motor to be installed into a late model vehicle and still pass emissions?

FWIW, any engine run low on oil can spin crank or main bearings, even your beloved 4.0. However the 4.0 does generally hold up to being neglected better than the 4.7. Its the broken piston skirts and cracking heads that kill the 99+ 4.0's.

Technically the 302 (5.0{Its really a 4.9 but was rounded up to avoid confusion with the 4.9 300 inline 6}) was made by ford up until 2001 for the exploder. :D

wjjeep19 11-09-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota
Technically the 302 (5.0{Its really a 4.9 but was rounded up to avoid confusion with the 4.9 300 inline 6}) was made by ford up until 2001 for the exploder. :D

. Thank you! It wasnt just used 15+ years ago. There are newer 302s.

Jeeples 11-09-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjeep19 (Post 17569442)
I live in the fantasy land where Saleen Parnelli Jones came out with the 302 in 2007 and then the second gen 302 was brought back in the 2012-2013 years.

Yes you're right about the running low on oil but the last time I checked my 4.0 isnt infamous for sludge, or map system failures. Ouch!

So sludge issues to you means the crud that builds up on the filler cap? Yeah, ok, you're right that totally means engine failure :rolleyes: If you wanna talk about a Chrysler motor with legitimate sludge issues, go do a little reading about the 2.7 V-6.

As for your comment about the map system, what exactly are you referring to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirruslydakota (Post 17572457)
Technically the 302 (5.0{Its really a 4.9 but was rounded up to avoid confusion with the 4.9 300 inline 6}) was made by ford up until 2001 for the exploder. :D

Which produced a mighty 215 HP in 2001.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjeep19 (Post 17572553)
. Thank you! It wasnt just used 15+ years ago. There are newer 302s.

Yeah, but past 2001 they were no longer part of any regular production vehicle.


The time now is 10:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.