UGG!!! Lifter tick? 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > UGG!!! Lifter tick? 4.0L

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
COL
2000 WJ 

Wj UGG!!! Lifter tick? 4.0L

Well guys, got my exhaust installed today and it sounds pretty good for an inline 6 engine. Anyways leaving work today when I stopped at a redlight and rolled the window down I heard what sounded like a faint lifter tick. It was hard to tell though cause even when you barely revved the engine the sound is masked by the exhaust. This kind of stuff really bugs me even if it isnt the biggest deal. Jeep is a 2000 model with only 109,000mi on it and an oil change 1000mi ago, maybe 100-200mi less. Any tips on how to solve this if it still makes the noise in the morning.

COL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
rep-tile
2004 WJ 

The lifters can get gummed up over time. Use an oil with high concentration of detergent like Castrol GTX. What I did and the tick went away after a couple of oil changes.
rep-tile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

I'd suggest you add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase this will often clear up lifter tick and it won't hurt a thing if it doesn't.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Valor
1999 WJ 

After I seafoamed my '99 I6 the quiet lifter tick I had seemed to have smoothed out. Some people swear by seafoam, others say it ruins O2 sensors.

I say that provided you follow the written directions, you can't really go wrong.
Valor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Are you sure the tick is not an exhaust manifold leak? The fact that your exhaust was worked on and you noticed the tick shortly thereafter means it could be the exhaust manifold. Sometimes that can be mistaken for a lifter tick.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.