Two Leaks - Any Concerning? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-06-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Icetheman
2004 WJ 

Two Leaks - Any Concerning?

Hi All,

While under my Jeep I noticed two very slow/slight leaking areas. Not even completely sure what is causing them yet but wanted to see what you all thought and if I should be concerned about any.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
20170106_134244.jpg   20170106_134330.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-06-2017, 06:44 PM
LCjeeper

It's hard to say in the first picture without more pictures. It could be valve covers from the top or the oil pan or a front main seal. I had valve cover and oil pan gaskets replaced on mine. The second picture looks like a seal in the output shaft of the transfer case. You can check the oil level in the motor from the dipstick, but not in your transfer case. While the leak doesn't look bad it hard to say, I would get that seal replaced and replace fluid.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-06-2017, 09:46 PM
acgenrich6777
2002 WJ 

Pull the cover back and check for the oil pan leaking. If you can reach your fingers deep inside behind the engine or mirror check the rear main. The second picture is just an output shaft seal. Easy to fix the second one in roughly an hour on the ground with hand tools and a hammer. The other one you need a bit more time, a beer and a few friends for motivation.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

I have the leak in Picture #1. I think its the rear main. I am trying some high mileage oil to see if helps stop it. If it doesn't get worse. I don't think it's a problem. Oil loss is insignificant at this point. I think you need to pull the engine to change the main seal?
post #5 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons View Post
I have the leak in Picture #1. I think its the rear main. I am trying some high mileage oil to see if helps stop it. If it doesn't get worse. I don't think it's a problem. Oil loss is insignificant at this point. I think you need to pull the engine to change the main seal?
The torque converter needs to come off along with the flywheel. So, yes, it's either and engine or tranny out to replace the rear main seal.

2000 WJ Grand Cherokee Black 236,000+ miles
Needs: Left rear wheel bearing. Front right CV joint.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

@Icetheman How much oil do you have to add between changes? If you don't have to add any and don't mind a little mess, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on it to see if it increases.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Icetheman
2004 WJ 

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have to add about 1 - 2 quarts of oil between changes. Looks like its something I should address pretty soon but not sure how I can narrow down the oil leak to the exact problem. Sounds like a rear main seal is a lot of work, im hoping another seal is causing the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

How many miles do you go between oil changes? 1-2 quarts seems to be a wide spread. If you had to look under the Jeep to see the leak and there is nothing in the driveway or where you park it, how do you know your not burning it?
post #9 of 13 Old 01-07-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Icetheman
2004 WJ 

I do not see any on the ground usually. I assumed it was leaking while driving and that's how I was losing it? I probably drive an average of 5k miles before changing it. I know I just added another quart (2 quarts total) since the last one. I will start watching it more closely and see how much I am actually burning.

Do you think the majority of it is being burned instead of a leak?
post #10 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM
rjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_MN View Post
The torque converter needs to come off along with the flywheel. So, yes, it's either and engine or tranny out to replace the rear main seal.
what???

On the 4.0 thats definitely not the case. Ive changed a few and never pulled any of that stuff out. Oil pan off, pull the last main cap, drive out both halves of the old rear main, drive in the upper half(use a little soap as lube), replace lower half, use a little rtv where the two halves come together, re-torque main cap, re-install oil pan, let the RTV dry a few hours, replace oil, pray for no leaks.... I would much rather replace the rear main with the motor out, crank out, etc..., but thats obviously not required.

On the 4.7, I have no clue, never messed with one.

OP: what motor do you have? 4.0 or 4.7?

On the 4.0 the 3 oil leaks are valve cover gasket(typically leaks in the rear), rear main seal(obviously leaks in the rear) and oil pan gasket(can leak anywhere, but again, typically in the rear). Front main seal is a little more rare in my experience.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

That is a lot of oil loss to not see ANY under the vehicle where you park it every day. A big oil leak will likely also result in the under carriage being coated with oil. I don't believe it would just disappear into the wind without a trace, other than what you see there. In my opinion you are more likely burning it. Do a compression test on the cylinders. My oil stain/leak is in the same area and very similar looking in size. My driveway has no oil stains on it. I know I burn a little oil. I am certain the amount of oil leaking is insignificant.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Dan_in_MN
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
what???

On the 4.0 thats definitely not the case. Ive changed a few and never pulled any of that stuff out. Oil pan off, pull the last main cap, drive out both halves of the old rear main, drive in the upper half(use a little soap as lube), replace lower half, use a little rtv where the two halves come together, re-torque main cap, re-install oil pan, let the RTV dry a few hours, replace oil, pray for no leaks.... I would much rather replace the rear main with the motor out, crank out, etc..., but thats obviously not required.

On the 4.7, I have no clue, never messed with one.

OP: what motor do you have? 4.0 or 4.7?

On the 4.0 the 3 oil leaks are valve cover gasket(typically leaks in the rear), rear main seal(obviously leaks in the rear) and oil pan gasket(can leak anywhere, but again, typically in the rear). Front main seal is a little more rare in my experience.
Oh, I was thinking it was a one piece seal. Have changed many rear main seals. Just not on a Jeep.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 PM
rjacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_MN View Post
Oh, I was thinking it was a one piece seal. Have changed many rear main seals. Just not on a Jeep.
On the 4.0 its a two piece. I have no clue on the 4.7 since I have never messed with them.

Just did a little searching, looks like on the 4.7 its a one piece and the trans has to come out to change it. Man what a pain in the ***.

To the OP: I hope you have a 4.0 as RMS swaps arent terrible in the 4.0. If you have a 4.7, have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.