Tweeter installation idea? help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tweeter installation idea? help!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

Wj Tweeter installation idea? help!

I think thinking about adding these new tweeters in my wj but using my bose computer speakers as the tweeters. Would it be possible to disassemble the speakers and put them in my wj? They are 2" to 2.5" tweeters and love the quality of them and would LOVE them in my jeep. Thanks!

iwheelinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwheelinbama View Post
I think thinking about adding these new tweeters in my wj but using my bose computer speakers as the tweeters. Would it be possible to disassemble the speakers and put them in my wj? They are 2" to 2.5" tweeters and love the quality of them and would LOVE them in my jeep. Thanks!
It's questionable whether they'll do the same thing for you in the car as they do on your desk, it's a whole different application - but here's a similar project that worked out pretty well.

http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45992
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
iwheelinbama
1999 WJ 

It seems like it would be the same basic thing. I was just thinking of the bose because of the quality in general is far more superior than other brands without a doubt.
iwheelinbama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwheelinbama View Post
I was just thinking of the bose because of the quality in general is far more superior than other brands without a doubt.
Well, that's certainly one opinion...

Good luck, sir!
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Sinisterod

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
Well, that's certainly one opinion...

Good luck, sir!
totally agree with your statement! But to each their own...

To further answer you need to watch the impedance. Typically home or multi media speakers are 8ohm nominal. Car speakers usually run 4 ohm nominal.
Further, what channel on the amp/ head unit were you planing on using? There is a fet cap on the OE tweeter matted to its impdance etc. Honestly a full set of components with mid+tweeter along with cross over network is your best option as they are designed to work in a car. Your desk speakers are paired to the enclosure they are in to obtain that sound. Changing the enclosure will change the sonic signature.
Sinisterod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
XC_Jeeps
2002 WJ 

My dash tweeters are from some Harmon-Kardon PC speakers that I had laying around. I think they are like 4 Ohm 5 watt speakers and they work fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.