Tweeter cuts out at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tweeter cuts out at idle

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 10-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
ccyoder

Tweeter cuts out at idle

I recently purchased a 1999 jgc laredo, 4.0L, 50K miles with the inifinity gold stereo. Recently, the driver side in-dash tweeter has started to cut out, but only while the jeep idles below 1k rpm, usually when I'm at a stoplight with the jeep in drive. The speaker cutting out is usually accompanied by a rough idle, which is an entirely different subject. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Could this be a sign of a battery that needs to be replaced (low voltage to amp), bad amp, bad alternator? Any ideas?

ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyoder
I recently purchased a 1999 jgc laredo, 4.0L, 50K miles with the inifinity gold stereo. Recently, the driver side in-dash tweeter has started to cut out, but only while the jeep idles below 1k rpm, usually when I'm at a stoplight with the jeep in drive. The speaker cutting out is usually accompanied by a rough idle, which is an entirely different subject. Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Could this be a sign of a battery that needs to be replaced (low voltage to amp), bad amp, bad alternator? Any ideas?

That rough idle might be causing an extremely loose wire to jump contact. Check the wiring at the tweeter, or the tweets wiring at the amp.

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
ccyoder

UPDATE
Thanks. I checked the connections and all are good. I've noticed that both front tweeters were cutting out at idle, so I thought possibly either a weak alternator, a bad batt or a bad amp was to blame. I went to my local auto parts store today and they tested the alt and batt. My batt was only pushing ~10-11v so I had it replaced, but they said the alt was also borderline bad (pushing 13.8), which I was told was a grey area, but who knows. In any event, the cutting out at idle remains and I'm at a loss for a solution. I'd rather not replace an infinity amp or an alt so my music sounds perfect at red lights, but the problem really sucks with such a good stereo system. Any other input that anyone has is really appreciated.
ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.