Turn signals/ blinkers not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Turn signals/ blinkers not working

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
ballzy90
2002 WJ 

Turn signals/ blinkers not working

For some reason my WJs turn signals seem to have a mind on their own. Sometimes I get in it and they do no work at all, sometimes they work perfectly and sometimes they go off halfway through my drive, most commonly half way to work.
I've checked the fuses and they seem ok, it's not like I can take it to an auto electrician because as I said they will work whenever I go to show someone so they think im crazy. Any ideas?

ballzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Falkon
2004 WJ 

http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm#FLASHER
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
straty1987

the turn signal not working is a common problem, its the flasher relay and it has a hair line crack that keeps it form working.

you can fix it yourself or buy a new one and pop it in, but can only get it form the dealer this is the parthttp://www.justforjeeps.com/flasher.html

its in a tight to get to but you can get it.
first remove the fuse cover on the bottom left, it pops off.
then you have to remove the small plastic that is above the the steering wheel, it pops right off.

then you have to remove the big plastic piece under the steering wheel.

the relays are located above the fuses so get a flashlight, put your head on the floor and look up. the flasher relay is on the top row in the middle,its the one that stick out the most. can wiggle it out and if needed use a pair of needle noise pliers to wiggly it a bit to start it. its the one label combination flasher at the top and the relays at the bottom are what you normally see after you pull that small cover off

now you have it out and you can see 2 push tabs on the sides, use a small flat screwdriver to pop the cover off. now its time to repair the real problem, a hair line crack on one of points against the plastic wall (its a row of 8 or 9 points) just look for crack on one of them, might need a magnifier glass. when you find it you will need to re-solder that point and any other with a crack in it. make sure you don't solder 2 points together.

then just put it back together and in the jeep and your good to go.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
ballzy90
2002 WJ 

So this would be causing them to only work sometimes and then not at all? Thanks for all your help guys.
ballzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballzy90 View Post
So this would be causing them to only work sometimes and then not at all? Thanks for all your help guys.
yea the weather can cause the crack to loss or make the connection as well as going over bumps. mine would go off and if i hit a pot hole or hit the dash it would come back.

also if you keep the emergency flasher on sometimes they come back. so if you discover your driving and they not working keep the flashers on
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
goriath
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks you so much for this thread guys!

I checked and changed every bulb in my wifes jeep. Still wouldn't work. Found this page.... and tried it out.

Took 25 minutes from start to finish and I am thoroughly pleased with myself for fixing it!

Took these pictures to share. Hopefully it may help someone else like it did me.

WHITE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1998
goriath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Nice write up straty! Mods should make this a sticky!
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
link375
2001 WJ 

I made a video here on how to fix the blinker relay

link375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
woody261

Your video really helped me out. Very easy to follow!
woody261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
car5car
2000 WJ 

I used to sell them on ebay for $15, I still have about 26 of them left.
Dealer sell them for 80(?)
Advance auto for 45-50
flashers-001.jpg  
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
tampacannon
2004 WJ 

Thanks for this write up and video! Gonna do this next weekend! Now people can quit getting pissed when I cut them off lol!
tampacannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
whooboy
2003 WJ 

I just changed my flasher. I bought a new one on ebay, but kept the old one and will take it apart to fix. I just want to say that posts like this help us a lot. I would not have had any idea (well maybe some idea) of how to change the flasher. Keep at it, guys--and and know that there are folks like me who turn to you when we need a little help. Thanks again.
whooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
cpaulsen
2002 WJ 

My left turn signal would work sometimes....when out I put my hand up there and moved the flasher a little. Would work for a few days then quit. Went to NAPA yesterday.....45 bucks and new flasher in hand.....went home....and 30 minutes later....new flasher in and everything works again.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
tycal
1999 WJ 

....and this is why I love the internet... (that and baby kitten photo's). The jiggle test with my hand confirmed the faulty relay and temporarily corrected the blinker/hazard issue. Will grab new flasher relay over the weekend (and tear old apart to look at) awesome...just awesome.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.