Turn signal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Turn signal question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
kumijia
1999 WJ 

Turn signal question

My left turn signal works when it wants too. I could use it on one turn, and the next turn it won't work. Should i assume it's the switch/lever? I figured i'd asked on here, before buying a new one, in case it could be something else?

kumijia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Sounds right, to me. That would be my first guess.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
dadamets
2002 WJ 

check the flasher. I recently had the same issue and I put more solder on the joints and have been problem free on this issue.

dadamets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

I had an old nissan and it did the same. i took the level off and opened it up. the contacts inside were gummed up/corroded. not sure if you can do that to jeeps though.

actually, looks like you can
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
kumijia
1999 WJ 

Cool i'll try that first.
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumijia
Cool i'll try that first.
Before you go and pull out the switch, put on the four way flashers and then turn them off. Do this a few times. Proceed to then check if your left blinker will work? If it does it is the flasher which is located below the dash. Do a search and you will see exactly where it as as well as how you can repair it yourself if you are so inclined.
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
kumijia
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamets View Post
Before you go and pull out the switch, put on the four way flashers and then turn them off. Do this a few times. Proceed to then check if your left blinker will work? If it does it is the flasher which is located below the dash. Do a search and you will see exactly where it as as well as how you can repair it yourself if you are so inclined.

I was reading other post about this problem or similar. There is several references to a write up about it. I found several posts, but not the write up....does anyone know the link or what to search that will pull that write up?
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't know what write up you are talking about, but I do have a switch for sale for $10 plus mailing cost if you need it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/...04-wj-1735762/

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
dadamets
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumijia

I was reading other post about this problem or similar. There is several references to a write up about it. I found several posts, but not the write up....does anyone know the link or what to search that will pull that write up?
Try this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...guide-1167239/
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
kumijia
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadamets View Post
I did this this morning and the left turn signal never started to work, am I safe to rule out the flasher and say its the switch?
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumijia View Post
I did this this morning and the left turn signal never started to work, am I safe to rule out the flasher and say its the switch?

No, still could be the flasher. They are cheap so that is where I would start.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 10-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumijia View Post

Pull the relay out and check the contacts for cracks. I just resoldered mine a couple days ago and now I have a left signal after 2 years.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Duh

Chrysler is known for making pretty crappy multifuntion switches (turn signal switch). I replace them all the time in wj's, wk 's and even more often in the vans. If you have a multimeter its pretty easy to tell if the signal is coming from the switch or not, you can access the switch connector by removing the steering column trim (screws on underside)
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
Chrysler is known for making pretty crappy multifuntion switches (turn signal switch). I replace them all the time in wj's, wk 's and even more often in the vans. If you have a multimeter its pretty easy to tell if the signal is coming from the switch or not, you can access the switch connector by removing the steering column trim (screws on underside)
Not to say you are wrong, but I have owned Chrysler products, Dodge and Jeep, since 1989 and never had a problem with the switches.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
Duh

I do about 1 a week at work. But i also do 5-10 vehicles a day, and there are 6 other techs in this one chrysler shop. Its all opinion on whats considered a lot i guess.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.