Turn signal doesn't work. Flasher. Here are my symptoms... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Turn signal doesn't work. Flasher. Here are my symptoms...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEngo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 Lum

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
zumin3k
1999 WJ 

Turn signal doesn't work. Flasher? Here are my symptoms...

My Passenger rear turn signal doesn't work on my 99 4.7 WJ. Replaced the bulb and still no good.
All other signals and lights work.
The signal doesn't turn on when locking/unlocking the car, when using the hazards, or when doing a normal turn signal function.
The turn signal lever/switch works fine, and I get the fast blinking from the dash when turning on that side.
Does this sound like the flasher relay thing or something else?
I'd rather not spend the $55 on the flasher if these are symptoms of a simpler (or different) problem.

Thanks!

Last edited by zumin3k; 10-12-2011 at 09:37 AM..
zumin3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

Screw that turn signal
All it does is give your next move away.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

Could be as simple as the contacts in the socket...take the bulb out and inspect the contacts. Some folks have had success prying the contacts in the socket up a little to maintain contact with the bulb....
ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
zumin3k
1999 WJ 

I'll definitely give that a shot first. Any other ideas if that doesn't solve it?
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
pjkatz04
2002 WJ 

actually, now that you mention it (and i wasnt too busy being a smartass), i had the same problem but with a brake light bulb. it was indeed the contacts. used electrical contact cleaner and it worked perfectly. also, some of that bulb grease stuff may help too. good luck!
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
4Doors
1999 WJ 

Before you drop the money on the relay, make sure your bulb sockets are in good shape and making contact with the metal tabs. You might need to bend them up just a little bit to ensure contact. Also, when you pull the tail light assembly out, make sure all the wires are firmly attached in the pigtail connector. I had 2 on both sides that had pulled loose. It's not hard to take the connector apart and I was able to push the loose wires onto the proper prongs and snap the connector back together again.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
zumin3k
1999 WJ 

Really hoping that works out. I'll report back before trying anything else!
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
4Doors
1999 WJ 

It still wouldn't hurt to pull your relay and take the cover off, you might see the infamous hairline cracks. I fixed mine with a cheap-o soldering pencil and didn't even use any solder. I just touched the tip to the contacts and melted the old solder so that it formed a solid bond again. My soldering skills leave something to be desired but even I pulled that one off.
4Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
zumin3k
1999 WJ 

Excellent, bending all of the contacts in towards their contact points fixed the problem.
Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.