Troubleshooting fan relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Troubleshooting fan relay

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
tommyd123

Troubleshooting fan relay

The electrical fan in my 2002 was not working. I know the fan is good, so now I am at the relay. What voltage readings should I be getting at the connection to the relay and to the fan. Also, is the relay interchangeable with any other Chrysler vehicles?

tommyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
4Tom
2001 WJ 

The relay is a solid state electronic relay under the headlight. Not sure if it was used in anyother models but I doubt it was.

Its very difficult to test because the output to fan isn't a constant voltage you can read with a meter. It uses pulse width modulation or PWM for short. Easy way to think of it is short pluse of 12v sent to fan.
The wider the pulse the faster the fan will spin. But a DC meter can't read pluses.

Many test the fan by applying 12v dirrectly to fan. Its not a conclusive test by any means as the fan may spin but doesn't tell you if the fan is drawning too much current.

The electric fan relay can and does just fail, it can also fail if the fan is drawing too much current. Repeated relay failure is often down to bad fan ( or cheap replacement relays)

I would start with replacing the relay and see how you get on.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
tommyd123

4Tom, thanks for the reply.

I'll keep my eyes open at the local junkyard for a relay. I would really hate to spend 50 dollars on a new one just to have it go bad by my fan pulling too much current.
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Terminal
2000 WJ 

I had to replace mine too a several years ago. Why get an old junkyard one that will have the same issue very soon and go through the trouble of replacing it again? It would be wise to buy the new and not fool with installing another. It's a real pain in the @ss to replace the fan relay. To each his own I guess...
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
tommyd123

I understand your reasoning to go with a new part, and appreciate your advice. I have been living without a radiator fan for over a year now and I drive the jeep very little, so I think a junkyard relay will do fine.. Besides, if it keeps going out, then I know to look at getting a new fan.

As far as being a PITA to replace, it takes me no more than 5 min from start to finish and a single 8 or 9mm socket.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Terminal
2000 WJ 

How's that cooked transmission fluid that runs through the radiator looking?

Good luck to you.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
tommyd123

Considering it is NOT cooked, not too bad. Thanks for asking.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I'm guessing you have a mechanical fan as well? I bought a Mopar fan relay about five years ago and it's been fine since. Like 4Tom said, not that easy to diagnose, but it can be done. But with such a cheap part, might as well just replace it.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

The input voltage will be 12 volt, plus a 5v PWM signal from the PCM. It pulses the relay, which in turn will pulse the output. You cannot read an accurate voltage on the output of these.

Getting a used one, you'll run into the same issue quickly.

What I'd recommend: getting a new one at a local parts store that comes with a lifetime warranty. Use some type of thermal compound (CPU compound like used on computers is best) to put under it before you remount it. IF it fails again, you know your fan is pulling too much current and needs a replacement as well. Swap out the lifetime warranty relay, and replace the fan as well at that time.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
tommyd123

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. More than likely I will be getting the new fan relay.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I've got a handful (7) that I have on hand. Replaced one with a virtually new one and haven't had an issue with it since.. My problem I recently had was the connector on the fan having corrosion issues. The mechanic I see has a DRBIII scanner which we used to diagnosed the fan and relay. One of the relays I had was toast, fan is good. Once we got the connector fixed, all was good again. Also with the relay I did have in originally when it went, it would throw an engine code as well.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
The input voltage will be 12 volt, plus a 5v PWM signal from the PCM. It pulses the relay, which in turn will pulse the output. You cannot read an accurate voltage on the output of these.

Getting a used one, you'll run into the same issue quickly.

What I'd recommend: getting a new one at a local parts store that comes with a lifetime warranty. Use some type of thermal compound (CPU compound like used on computers is best) to put under it before you remount it. IF it fails again, you know your fan is pulling too much current and needs a replacement as well. Swap out the lifetime warranty relay, and replace the fan as well at that time.
^This.

Its exactly what I did and I havent had any problems at all. I also replaced the fan motor at the same time. I also have the mechanical fan but the electric is needed for good A/C performance. When I do junk yard runs I usually grab the fan relays if theyre easy to get to. I have 5 laying around here (I keep 1 in my tool bag with some thermaltake cpu mount) for those "just in case" moments.
Cirruslydakota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
tommyd123

Update...

Replaced the relay with a junkyard one and works good, for now. Considering the price I was charged, I feel good about the used part.

I originally asked if the fan relay was interchangeable with other vehicles, and I found out it is. I pulled mine from a minivan. I forget if it was a dodge, chrystler, or Plymouth, but it worked just fine.

As an added bonus, I pulled some headlights from the junkyard jeep. Now it looks like I have brand new headlights now! I'll call this a good day!
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
js12278
1999 WJ 

That relay for the radiator fan is used on other vehicles as well. Many of the vehicles Chrysler built that year..
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I can't justify buying a new one when I have a handful of virtually new ones at my disposal now. So it blows. Just change it out and keep going. Got another one yesterday. Some one obviously cut the bottom of the header panel to replace it. Looks to be a matter of months old. Same as the one I put in to replace my bad one. Up here to get from the dealer is always at least twice for you guys are able to get them for. Why give more money to a dealership when there's plenty of good ones that will be usually scraped anyways.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.