Trouble finding the cause of a misfire. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trouble finding the cause of a misfire.

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
lipperboy1023
2002 WJ 

Wj Trouble finding the cause of a misfire.

Ok so here is what im dealing with. i have an 02 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 4.0L that all of a sudden one day started to have a misfire of some sort. At the beginning of the day it ran find i had went to the gas station to get gas filled it up with 91 octane drove on into town and when into the store to get a few things. when i when to start up again the misfire started. i took it easy and got it back home and just thought that maybe i fowled a plug but when i replaced them it changed nothing. from there i tried cleaning out my injectors, still same ol thing. then i started going through a list in my head of everything that i know of that causes a misfire. all that i have replaced that i can think of is my spark plugs, injectors, coil pack, cam sensor, crank position sensor, and then i went through the whole jeep and made sure i had no open grounds. after doing all this it still have the same misfire. whats odd is that i can start it up and for the first couple seconds it is completely find then it will start to misfire, really its more of a shutter then a misfire. could this by any chance possibly have anything to do with my fuel system...fuel filter, fuel pressure, or fuel pump. please can anyone help!?!?

lipperboy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
beachguard
2004 WJ 

I have a simalar problem. SOMETIMES when I start my truck it will idle weird almost like its going to stall. I can put the peddal on the floor and the rpm wont even move. If I let it sit for a few seconds and put it in drive, it will move but still sounds like its going to die. After I drive it for a while it will go away. Not really sure what it could be. suggestions?
beachguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipperboy1023 View Post
Ok so here is what im dealing with. i have an 02 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 4.0L that all of a sudden one day started to have a misfire of some sort. At the beginning of the day it ran find i had went to the gas station to get gas filled it up with 91 octane drove on into town and when into the store to get a few things. when i when to start up again the misfire started. i took it easy and got it back home and just thought that maybe i fowled a plug but when i replaced them it changed nothing. from there i tried cleaning out my injectors, still same ol thing. then i started going through a list in my head of everything that i know of that causes a misfire. all that i have replaced that i can think of is my spark plugs, injectors, coil pack, cam sensor, crank position sensor, and then i went through the whole jeep and made sure i had no open grounds. after doing all this it still have the same misfire. whats odd is that i can start it up and for the first couple seconds it is completely find then it will start to misfire, really its more of a shutter then a misfire. could this by any chance possibly have anything to do with my fuel system...fuel filter, fuel pressure, or fuel pump. please can anyone help!?!?
Did you try changing one of the good coil packs to the one that mis-fires? And putting the coil pack from the mis-fire location where you took it off the good plug? Might be failing coil pack. Also, any way to clean the injector at the misfire location?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
lipperboy1023
2002 WJ 

well now its not really a misfire. i can start it up and it is fine. as soon as i get it up to about 1500-2000rpms in park it wants to start shuttering. almost sounds like a bad lifter but i kno it isnt that because i have just replaced all of them. if i put it in drive and go to pull off it goes just fine but right before it shifts into the next gear once again it want to shuttering but as soon as it shifts its fine. im not sure what is causing this but i do know it is something to do with the engine and if not the engine its self it is electrical im just not sure what.
lipperboy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.