Tried to do Spark Plugs today in the 4.7--Didn't happend - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tried to do Spark Plugs today in the 4.7--Didn't happend

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
mjWJ12
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283

Your new plugs appear to stick further into the cylinder than your old ones.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum
Maybe your right but now its purring like a kitten..also getting better gas mileage

(04 WJ Laredo)3" IRO +3/4" front spacers; Custom rear bumper +d-rings; universal front tow hook; plasti-dipped 16" silverblades; premium sliders; custom hi-lift mount; 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATP.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/mjwj12-build-thread-1436508/"]Here is my Build Thread[/URL]
mjWJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #32
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Your new plugs appear to stick further into the cylinder than your old ones.

Sent from my EVO 4G using JeepForum
That's because he's replacing the wrong plugs with the right ones.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #33
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
That's because he's replacing the wrong plugs with the right ones.
lol I need to catch up and get mine done before it's twenty degrees out!
Unread 09-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #34
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milresq
HOLY CR@P I did 4 of mine today. Thanks to Oreily's giving me the wrong plugs and having to run back to the store to get the right one's. But mine came right out no problem. When you put them back use dielectric grease. It helps going back in and coming out the next time.

LOL LOL

Tks for the laugh. I always thought I was the only one that had these problems.
LOL

Sent from my Photon using JeepForum App
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
jager66
2001 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
You need the correct plugs, otherwise damage can occur.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using JeepForum App
Cripes I don't have a HO-

I have been running on them for over a year now and done a few thousand miles.
I run on LPG and was told copper core plugs were not ideal for LPG.
It runs well, my only problem being an intermittent P0204 code, but I had that before changing plugs.
jager66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #36
shepd
2000 WJ 

I use copper plugs for propane (different vehicle) and they work great for me. I don't see any reason you'd have trouble with the copper plugs.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
jager66
2001 WJ 

I am told they burn out quicker due to increased temp as do the valves on some cars.
jager66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Grand View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I have a '00 Camaro SS. #8 had to be done from below. The 4.7 is EASY in comparison. Even #8 in the 4.7 isn't bad if you get the throttle and cruise control cables and the wiring harness out of the way. It takes a few more minutes to disconnect that stuff, but I think it's worth it.
Even more fun when u have headers
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #39
dsodko
2002 WJ 

My first change took 4 hrs. Second change took 2 hrs. I used a lot of 3/8 sockets & extensions. #8 was pain ! I took the coil in front of it out so I could see ! 1/4 socket & extensions to get to the 10mm nuts at rear. I found that if you take the 10mm nut off the support for the dip stick it helped.

Tack your time and be careful so you don't drop anything ! Best of luck.

Also, only use Champions brand plugs !
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
dsodko
2002 WJ 

If your engine area is dirty, blow the top of the air plenum off and around the coil/connection so not as to get dirt in the threads when you are replacing the plugs.

Also, if you use too much silicone grease, the coil/connection may seem to want to bounce back. Don't worry. The stuff drys out. It makes a good waterproof seal and easier to remove the coil/connections next time.

I use a good anti seize compound. I prefer one with copper. I found some in a small tube. We used it at IBM for years. I don't like the stuff some part stores have because it had aluminum added.

Your cylinder heads will love you if you follow instruction and don't over torque the plus. 20 foot/lbs.
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #41
centralmuscle
1999 WJ 

Guess I got lucky. Just did them when I changed the driver side valve cover gasket(screw the passenger side!) and they all came off easy with a slight twisting motion. One thing I highly recommend is putting dielectric lube(non conductive) on the new plug ceramic insulator, and around the coil pack O ring, to make putting them back in a breeze. My new plugs(autolite) were slightly thicker on the ceramic and needed the lube to slip into the coil pack bottom rubber sleeve.
centralmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #42
fiveseven15
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Grand View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I have a '00 Camaro SS. #8 had to be done from below. The 4.7 is EASY in comparison. Even #8 in the 4.7 isn't bad if you get the throttle and cruise control cables and the wiring harness out of the way. It takes a few more minutes to disconnect that stuff, but I think it's worth it.
i think it'd be easier to pull the body off than to do the last plugs on those cars. or remove your glovebox and cut a hole in the firewall, and change them from inside the car lol (not really)
fiveseven15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #43
DC_Leach
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadga1390 View Post
now try an LS1 in a 2002 Trans AM WS6! talk about working in tough conditions. especially with factory plugs at 145k miles (owner must've lost his mind) those wires were glued on at that point. once u reach that point you've mastered spark plugs imo lmao.
If its anything like the 3.8 in my old firebird, you damn near had to take the exhaust manifold off and get to the plugs from the bottom hahaha
DC_Leach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #44
wj47ho2004
2004 WJ 

I thought changing plugs on a 4.7 was easy. I did it once on my ho with champion platinums and on 2x on my truck with coppers. My old zj with the 5.2 was a pita to change the plugs, distributor and rotor and wires. You really don't get to see what you are doing while laying on top of the engine while getting the wire order correct. Next time ill suspend myself from the ceiling like mission impossible lol.
wj47ho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.