JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Tried to do Spark Plugs today in the 4.7--Didn't happend (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/tried-do-spark-plugs-today-4-7-didnt-happend-88055/)

Astorm 06-12-2004 01:38 PM

Tried to do Spark Plugs today in the 4.7--Didn't happend

After reading up on it, looking on WJjeeps.com, and buying the plugs, started to do the job today. I took the intake off, etc... Unbolted one of the coils, took off the harness, and the damn thing wouldn't come off!!! I tried another one, and they are all the same, I pulled, jiggled, twisted (which is very limited by the stud, yet to no avail. None of the coils will come off!!!

This is probably one of the most frustrating things since I can't even do spark plugs anymore. I don't want to bring it to the dealer, but I do have a coupon for $62.95 for plug replacement.

I'd rather do this job myself, as opposed to someone else doing it.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get the coils off (without breaking them)?

Thanks,

Andy

10achik 06-12-2004 02:34 PM

Take the bolts off and pull like hell

seriously, you have to press down slightly and turn to unseat...then pull really really hard straight up! :thumbsup:

ethan1321 06-13-2004 11:50 AM

I just did the plugs in my wife's jeep and ran into the same problem. I just took a flat bladed screw driver and placed it between the coil mounting flange and the bottom nut of the stud then just twisted the screw driver. They all popped of like a charm then, this is after I spent about 2 hours just working on the first two. Good luck.

Ethan

10achik 06-13-2004 01:17 PM

Come to think about it I did the same thing with a pry bar, they will come out, it just takes some force.

archinate82 08-14-2012 09:46 PM

Try a shot of PB or something like that before you take out the old plugs.

Then make sure you put a thin coat of anti-seize on the new plugs and lube the coils with some dielectric grease.

Did mine about 30k ago, so it's time to do them again I think.

billzcat1 08-14-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archinate82 (Post 14022320)
Try a shot of PB or something like that before you take out the old plugs.

Do this, but be very sparing with the penetrating oil. You don't want a ton of oil draining down into the cyl when you pull the plug out.

Putting dielectric grease on the coil boots will help keep them from sticking to the plugs for future changes.

Although.... that $63 coupon sounds pretty good when you consider the giant PITA that cyl #8 is.

Gunrunner23 08-14-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billzcat1

Do this, but be very sparing with the penetrating oil. You don't want a ton of oil draining down into the cyl when you pull the plug out.

Putting dielectric grease on the coil boots will help keep them from sticking to the plugs for future changes.

Although.... that $63 coupon sounds pretty good when you consider the giant PITA that cyl #8 is.

Mine actually wasn't too bad. Thank god. That's a good deal considering it takes awhile to do all 8! Now do a 6cyl on a xterra.... that 6th one is the worst. 2 extension and 2 swivels.....

cadga1390 08-14-2012 11:53 PM

now try an LS1 in a 2002 Trans AM WS6! talk about working in tough conditions. especially with factory plugs at 145k miles (owner must've lost his mind) those wires were glued on at that point. once u reach that point you've mastered spark plugs imo lmao.

2001WJv8 08-15-2012 05:20 AM

i've done my own at 30 and 60 ... but if the dealer will do it at 90 for $63 i'll go that route ;)

shepd 08-15-2012 05:21 AM

If the $63 includes the plugs themselves, get the dealer to do it. At least up here, that would just barely buy you the plugs and nothing else.

Gunrunner23 08-15-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepd
If the $63 includes the plugs themselves, get the dealer to do it. At least up here, that would just barely buy you the plugs and nothing else.

Really? 4.7 calls for copper. So like 16 bucks for all 8....

ZeJokee 08-15-2012 08:32 AM

Had the same problem. I attempted to do them but those freakin coil packs would not come off. I ended up putting it off for a few more months. Finally sprayed some PB blaster around them and pulled like hell. Once they were lubed up they came out pretty easy. Make sure, like billzcat said, put some electric grease on the orings of the coil packs so they shouldn't stick next go around.

cuttysark 08-15-2012 01:37 PM

yeah up here in canada theyre like 5.50 a piece plus tax for plugs alone. #8 is a ***** too

V8 Grand 08-15-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadga1390 (Post 14022902)
now try an LS1 in a 2002 Trans AM WS6! talk about working in tough conditions. especially with factory plugs at 145k miles (owner must've lost his mind) those wires were glued on at that point. once u reach that point you've mastered spark plugs imo lmao.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a '00 Camaro SS. #8 had to be done from below. The 4.7 is EASY in comparison. Even #8 in the 4.7 isn't bad if you get the throttle and cruise control cables and the wiring harness out of the way. It takes a few more minutes to disconnect that stuff, but I think it's worth it.

2001WJv8 08-15-2012 03:37 PM

i change #8 by reaching through the flipper glass, much easier once i figured that trick out

The time now is 05:54 AM.