Tranz Fluid Level Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranz Fluid Level Help?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Tranz Fluid Level Help?

So i bought a 99 WJ 4.0 and noticed that it is really hard to determine the tranz fluid level. Seems i get a different level depending how the dipstick is turned? I'm getting different readings. One is fluid on one side about 1/2" up from the bottom of the dipstick and fluid on the same side, but it's only half the width to the correct level and on one side only. Another is fluid half the width of the dipstick one both sides? If i dip the dipstick in tranz fluid it sticks? WTF is going on lol. Is there some kind of a trick? I was under the impression that you read the high side facing rear? If this is the case i am about 2 quarts low?

Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I have my dipstick oriented so I can stick my finger through the loop and point towards the rear, driver side seat. Hope that helps however, I never really noticed that orienting the dipstick differently would then result in a different level reading.
Here is the procedure from WJJeeps.com

MODEL 42RE:

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82C (180F).

2. Position vehicle on level surface.

4. Apply parking brakes.

5. Shift transmission momentarily into all gear ranges. Then shift transmission back to NEUTRAL.

6. Clean top of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt from entering tube.

7. Remove dipstick and check fluid level as follows:

(a) Correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area.

(b) Correct maximum level is to MAX arrow mark.

(c) Incorrect level is at or below MIN line.

(d) If fluid is low, add only enough Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Do not overfill.

This is how I have checked my fluid countless times.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

I know how to check the tranz fluid level... i guess i'm not accepting the fact that i bought a Jeep that is about 2 quarts low on tranz fluid lol. When i checked it after i test drove it it appeared to be fine at first glance. I checked the level again not to long ago and it was up about 1/2" from the bottom both sides with the "half streak" to the ok mark. I'll drop the pan tomorrow and do the filter & fluid.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Mine does the same thing, but as long as its in the hashed area and not above the full line I call it good. Which dipstick do you have? the T handle one or the one with the finger ring on it? With my T handle one I just make sure "Trand fluid" is oriented the right way and take my measurements with the dipstick writing oriented the same way. Does that make sense?
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I will have to double check now that you say that, I am pretty sure both of my oil and trans dipsticks are rings.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

I have a 1999 and somewhere between then and 2002 they switched both dipsticks to rings (I think the ringed trans fluid dipstick has a lock tab on it as well. I have the old Chrysler "T" handle style that was used on most automatics prior to the early 2000's. Chrysler does still carry both types and they dont share the same P/N but they look identical except for the handles.
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Weird haha. I just checked mine and its a ring and not the t-style. But I agree that it should be the identical dipstick with the different handle. Who knows why they changed it in the first place.

I guess it could read high if the back flow preventer was bad and fluid was draining form the radiator back to the pan. So a person could think that it is full. But when running it'd fill the cooler back up.

However as I am typing this out, I just remembered that you are supposed to measure with it running and in neutral. Meaning the pump would be running and the radiator would be full. Hmmm.

-Michael-

For Sale:
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Correct, the front pump only circulates fluid to the cooler while in gear or neutral. In park its just sitting in the pan, thats why starting your automatic car up cold and letting the fluid "warm up" while in park is a waste of fuel.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

It was low...about 2 quarts. I'm getting oil on both side and reading the high side (rear) which is the correct way. Was just running up the dipstick before.

It's the t-handle style. It doesn't stay seated but it's not hitting the bottom of the pan like some 4.7's?
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Always have issues when checking mine. APPEARS to have fluid, but can't get a good enough read at what it actually is. I know it's seeping so has to be losing but doesn't seem to go down at all? I don't get it. If it does get on the low side though, I can feel it as it doesn't shift right. Going to clean the tranny and we're going to add some die to see where it's leaking. Have an idea, but we shall see.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.