Transmission Slipping? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Slipping?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Transmission Slipping?

Hey all,

I've never had a transmission "slip" before, so I'm not sure if that's what is happening or not.

Today, I started up my Jeep, backed out of the driveway, put it in drive and went down the block to the stop sign. I waited for traffic to clear and started to press the accelerator. It momentarily behaved as if it were in neutral and then abruptly engaged. It was about 25 degrees out and I chalked it up to being cold. But after driving around for a half hour, it did the same thing in the grocery store parking lot. By then, it had been warm for quite a while. For now, it's pretty rare and intermittent, but definitely a new behavior.

The transmission fluid and filter were changed within the last 20,000 miles. But my Jeep has nearly 200,000 miles on it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? And, if so, what can I look forward to?

Thanks,

Brandon

Unread 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
car5car
2000 WJ 

Transmission clutches work like brake pads and made from the same or similar material. Clutches wear out, it is normal process, so somewhere between 120-200K every transmission has to be rebuilt. Rebuild kit price is about $80. Converter is about 80-100. It takes about 1-2 hours to rebuild transmission for experienced transmission mechanic, not counting removal/installation.
Clutches are engaged by pistons about 4" diameter, pistons have O-rings, O-rings wear out and cannot seal pistons anymore. Clutch disks are not compressed with enough force.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Jeep-T...e92e0f&vxp=mtr
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

4.0L or 4.7L?

It does sound like your transmission may be having trouble getting the band clutch applied when going into first gear. If it is a new behavior and it just started with the cold weather I would recommend that you just give it time and see if it continues. Give your TCM time to learn some adaptive strategy to correct the issue but no doubt at 200,000 the clutch packs inside the transmission have taken quite the beating.

If this continues longer than a week it is time to look into rebuilding or replacing that transmission. Assuming that you don't have any advanced technical knowledge of the auto trans, a Jasper transmission is a great way to go, if you send them your old trans back they will credit you a core charge and it is actually quite affordable.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD
4.0L or 4.7L? It does sound like your transmission may be having trouble getting the band clutch applied when going into first gear. If it is a new behavior and it just started with the cold weather I would recommend that you just give it time and see if it continues. Give your TCM time to learn some adaptive strategy to correct the issue but no doubt at 200,000 the clutch packs inside the transmission have taken quite the beating. If this continues longer than a week it is time to look into rebuilding or replacing that transmission. Assuming that you don't have any advanced technical knowledge of the auto trans, a Jasper transmission is a great way to go, if you send them your old trans back they will credit you a core charge and it is actually quite affordable.
4.7L. It's the 45RFE.

No, I've never rebuilt a transmission myself. However, I have pulled an engine, dropped a transmission, rebuilt a differential, etc. I have the space, the tools, manual and I'm sure I could do it. My biggest problem is a lack of time (have a four month old daughter). And I don't want to lay it up for weeks.

I've not heard of a Jasper transmission. I'll look into that and, in the mean time, see how it behaves over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
car5car
2000 WJ 

I have a theory (never tried)
Ford Mercon V ATF is heavier than Mercon 3 and 4, so pistons, engaging clutches, should apply more force.
It is possible, that Ford ATF will eliminate or decrease slipping.
Go to auto parts store and shake bottles of ATF 5 and whatever you have in your transmission to check if I am right.
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

Not a bad idea but the nature of ATF is funny because each manufacturer uses different friction material that reacts a certain way with their ATF fluid...putting the ford fluid in may help or it may hurt but since I too have not tried it I cant say.

Since you have done so much in detail work then you might be able to successfully rebuild your trans on your own, but the only obstacle is the drum that contains your low/reverse clutch pack in these 45rfe transmissions is spring loaded and uses a snap ring to contain the assembly, you will need a special press to compress the drum in order to remove that snap ring. This whole process can be dangerous as well. Since you have limited time getting a rebuilt transmission and just dropping and swapping might be your best route.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD
Not a bad idea but the nature of ATF is funny because each manufacturer uses different friction material that reacts a certain way with their ATF fluid...putting the ford fluid in may help or it may hurt but since I too have not tried it I cant say. Since you have done so much in detail work then you might be able to successfully rebuild your trans on your own, but the only obstacle is the drum that contains your low/reverse clutch pack in these 45rfe transmissions is spring loaded and uses a snap ring to contain the assembly, you will need a special press to compress the drum in order to remove that snap ring. This whole process can be dangerous as well. Since you have limited time getting a rebuilt transmission and just dropping and swapping might be your best route.
I think you just sold me on not attempting the rebuild myself. Lol
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5car
I have a theory (never tried) Ford Mercon V ATF is heavier than Mercon 3 and 4, so pistons, engaging clutches, should apply more force. It is possible, that Ford ATF will eliminate or decrease slipping. Go to auto parts store and shake bottles of ATF 5 and whatever you have in your transmission to check if I am right.
The dealership changed the fluid and filter (it was Winter and I didn't have a garage at the time). So my assumption is that they used the standard.
Unread 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

Just an FYI, this hasn't happened again since that day. For now... I'm going to pretend it never happened. Lol

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.