Transmission rebuild question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission rebuild question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Reply
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Wj Transmission rebuild question

Hello I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with selec-trac with 4.0 I6 (42re transmission) and I was having issues with reverse. If you put the car into reverse it would backup but as soon as you hit the accelerator it would "kick" out of reverse. Every other gear works no problem. I had a transmission shop look at it and they said that there was two broken retainer clips in the transmission pan. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and could give me some insight about replacing these clips. I have rebuilt a manual transmission but I have never worked on an automatic. What needs to be replaced if I open up the transmission? Thanks!

muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
vic1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin23 View Post
Hello I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with selec-trac with 4.0 I6 (42re transmission) and I was having issues with reverse. If you put the car into reverse it would backup but as soon as you hit the accelerator it would "kick" out of reverse. Every other gear works no problem. I had a transmission shop look at it and they said that there was two broken retainer clips in the transmission pan. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and could give me some insight about replacing these clips. I have rebuilt a manual transmission but I have never worked on an automatic. What needs to be replaced if I open up the transmission? Thanks!
The back half of the trans is the overdrive and reverse housing...it can be pulled out without pulling the trans...once off there's a clutch pack right on top where the snap ring breaks..more likely you will have to get new clutchs too!
vic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1989 View Post
The back half of the trans is the overdrive and reverse housing...it can be pulled out without pulling the trans...once off there's a clutch pack right on top where the snap ring breaks..more likely you will have to get new clutchs too!
Thanks for your quick response! So I would need something like this then? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=clutch Does anyone just sell the clutches or do I need everything in that kit? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced when I pull the back half? I just came across this kit too http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/C...FchM4AodTyMAEQ Would it be smarter to just buy a used tranny? I'm hesitant about that because you don't know what you're getting at least with mine I know it only has one issue
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
vic1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin23 View Post

Thanks for your quick response! So I would need something like this then? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=clutch Does anyone just sell the clutches or do I need everything in that kit? Is there a gasket that needs to be replaced when I pull the back half? I just came across this kit too http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/C...FchM4AodTyMAEQ Would it be smarter to just buy a used tranny? I'm hesitant about that because you don't know what you're getting at least with mine I know it only has one issue
The gasket on the bottom right in the first link is the one you need...but neither kits will have the snap ring in it!.. and the ring that breaks holds a huge spring which you will have to use a press to get out!! I will try and find a link for you for the ring an pictures
vic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1989 View Post
The gasket on the bottom right in the first link is the one you need...but neither kits will have the snap ring in it!.. and the ring that breaks holds a huge spring which you will have to use a press to get out!! I will try and find a link for you for the ring an pictures
If I were to fix the transmission by pulling the back part off, how do you do this? What part of the transmission am I actually disconnecting? I would imagine that the transfer case and axles would need to be dropped to get it off. Do you have any pictures of doing this procedure or can you possibly just give me a walk through?
Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a lot of experience with cars so I will get what you're explaining I just haven't really had a chance to look at the tranny yet so I'm not sure where you're referring to when speaking of the part you'd pull
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
drrm123
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Red Bluff, CA
Posts: 192
The front clutch or drum is also being used while reverse is applied, Which is where those snap rings could have come from. You could try adjusting the rear band, which the pans needs to be dropped to do. What you said about it jumping out of reverse sounds like the rear band is not holding to me. I dont think you can get to the parts you need to access by removing just the over drive unit on the rear of the trans. The way it was designed to come apart is by removing the front pump and pulling everything out through the front of the case. It's best to just repair it once and do it right the first time, instead of trying to cut corners.
__________________
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder Selectrac
$2400 installed new radiator 1 window regulator 2 oxygen sensors
drrm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrm123 View Post
The front clutch or drum is also being used while reverse is applied, Which is where those snap rings could have come from. You could try adjusting the rear band, which the pans needs to be dropped to do. What you said about it jumping out of reverse sounds like the rear band is not holding to me. I dont think you can get to the parts you need to access by removing just the over drive unit on the rear of the trans. The way it was designed to come apart is by removing the front pump and pulling everything out through the front of the case. It's best to just repair it once and do it right the first time, instead of trying to cut corners.
Where would I find the snap rings? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...Term=snap+ring Those are the only snap rings I could find, is it a specific part or is it just a general snap ring?
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
vic1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin23 View Post

If I were to fix the transmission by pulling the back part off, how do you do this? What part of the transmission am I actually disconnecting? I would imagine that the transfer case and axles would need to be dropped to get it off. Do you have any pictures of doing this procedure or can you possibly just give me a walk through?
Thank you so much for all of your help. I have a lot of experience with cars so I will get what you're explaining I just haven't really had a chance to look at the tranny yet so I'm not sure where you're referring to when speaking of the part you'd pull
Once the t-case is out the overdrive housing is bolted to the back of the trans with 7 3/8 bolts..there is 2 clutch packs that are held in by snap rings...once those are out there is a little plate on top of the housing that has to come off to pull the drum and output shaft out of the housing with 2 27 torx bit bolts that hold it on...once the plate is off u have to use snap ring plyers to spread the ring outwards which will let the drum an shaft come out...from there u will see the drum with broken ring...but it has a massive spring in side that u will have to use a press to press it down to get the broken ring out an to put the new one in..from there u reverse the install..it is simple an self explanatory when your are doing it...u can Google A500 broken reverse snap ring..and there will be plenty of pictures for ya too look at..
vic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
vic1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1989 View Post

Once the t-case is out the overdrive housing is bolted to the back of the trans with 7 3/8 bolts..there is 2 clutch packs that are held in by snap rings...once those are out there is a little plate on top of the housing that has to come off to pull the drum and output shaft out of the housing with 2 27 torx bit bolts that hold it on...once the plate is off u have to use snap ring plyers to spread the ring outwards which will let the drum an shaft come out...from there u will see the drum with broken ring...but it has a massive spring in side that u will have to use a press to press it down to get the broken ring out an to put the new one in..from there u reverse the install..it is simple an self explanatory when your are doing it...u can Google A500 broken reverse snap ring..and there will be plenty of pictures for ya too look at..
Dacco transmission will have the parts if u Google them an call...they will know exactly what u will need...
vic1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1989 View Post
Dacco transmission will have the parts if u Google them an call...they will know exactly what u will need...
Excellent reference thank you! Just spoke with them, I was told I needed
  • Ref 860: #22602-Snap ring overdrive clutch, waved
    Ref 864: #22604- Snap ring overdrive clutch, front
    Ref 305: 13253- Extension house gasket
    Transfer case gasket
http://www.daccoinc.com/pdfs/catalogs/TF6_A904_A500.pdf
That's the breakdown of the transmission, does that sound about right?
He said the biggest issue would be the spring because it has 800lbs of force so you need a press. How can I do this at home haha
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
car5car
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 427
Do not do anything until you read manual a few times.
__________________
TransmissionEngineSchool.com
00 WJ 4.7 4x4 Limited
car5car is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/m...e/93ZJ_21S.PDF
Yeah I just found it I read how to overhaul the overdrive unit just don't have a press
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
muddin23
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Auburn, NY
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1989 View Post
Once the t-case is out the overdrive housing is bolted to the back of the trans with 7 3/8 bolts..there is 2 clutch packs that are held in by snap rings...once those are out there is a little plate on top of the housing that has to come off to pull the drum and output shaft out of the housing with 2 27 torx bit bolts that hold it on...once the plate is off u have to use snap ring plyers to spread the ring outwards which will let the drum an shaft come out...from there u will see the drum with broken ring...but it has a massive spring in side that u will have to use a press to press it down to get the broken ring out an to put the new one in..from there u reverse the install..it is simple an self explanatory when your are doing it...u can Google A500 broken reverse snap ring..and there will be plenty of pictures for ya too look at..
Quick question sorry to keep asking questions, is there any way to determine which snap ring it is based on the ring I found in the pan? It was 1/8" thick that sounds like the direct clutch snap ring (the one you need a press for...) but I know its more common for OD clutch wave spring and OD clutch reaction snap ring to break which are about 1/4 inch thick, if it was the direct clutch snap ring wouldn't overdrive not be working too?
muddin23 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.