transmission question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > transmission question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Bushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
2000jeep85

transmission question

i have had my transmission replaced twice and was told it was replaced right before I bought it just over two years ago so thats three replacements in 2 years. I've also had problems with the transmission when I go on long trips like more then an hour away.
well the problem I'm having now is when I start out in the morning or when its cold I'll get up to about 25 before I have to make the first turn off my street when i slow down it'll kick down hard and stay stuck in what i think is 2 or third gear. I stay on this road for about a mile then get to a stop sign, I then put the car in neutral and turn the car off and restart it. It'll then drive like normal but the check engine light is on.
This all started after I picked up a load of ceramic tile from lowes hardware which I'm not sure how much it weighed(I got about 13 boxes and five bags of mortar, all I know is that it was heavy), I left it in the car that night and took it out the next day, then that's when it started. well I also needed to get some more things from lowes so i took it back up there the whole time the light was on, well when i loaded up the stuff I left the store and the light was off. I then get home and the car does it again after it had time to cool down. has anyone had this problem.
I thought it was my transmission but it shifts fine after i get it a little warm and it only started doing it after a heavy load was put in the car.

Last edited by 2000jeep85; 03-29-2010 at 06:23 AM..
2000jeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Paragraphs are a nice feature of written language that helps differentiate disparate thoughts and lines of reasoning. Please use more of them. Your block of text is hard to read.

Why don't you start over by telling us something about your jeep and its relevant equipment.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
2000jeep85

I'm sorry for the sloppy post it was 2 in the morning and I was tired. To put it short the problem is that when the car is cold it'll shift fine at first but when I get to my first slow down to make a turn it'll kick hard and then remain stuck in either 2/3 gear. I then drive about a mile before I stop and restart the jeep. After words it'll shift fine.
This all started after I had a heavy load in the car(tile,mortar).
If I drive it long enough after the initial kick down and stuck in gear, the light will go off but the problem will restart as soon as the car gets cold.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

what year and engine do you have? those are very important pieces of any troubleshooting puzzle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
2000jeep85

2000 jeep gc 4.7

Last edited by 2000jeep85; 03-30-2010 at 06:57 AM..
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
2000jeep85

anyone got any advice on what it could be?
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
2000jeep85

anyone got any advice on what it could be?
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Use the key on/off method to pull the code it is throwing. To do this, set the key to the off position, turn it to the on position (not start) then back off, do this three times and on the third time leave it in the on position. Write down all the codes that appear where the odometer usually is. It will say "done" if there are no codes to be shown or after all codes have been shown.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
2000jeep85

p0700 was the code
Unread 03-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #10
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jeep85 View Post
p0700 was the code
Quote:
This code indicates that the EATX (Transmission controller) has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a BUS message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via a DRBIII tool. (Input or Output Speed Sensor failures often cause this code and are a common failure part on WJ Grand Cherokees).
Sounds like your problem may be in the transmission control module and not the actual transmission itself.

For more specific information on that cel code, you will need to go to a dealership so that they can scan it with the DRBIII. As that is the only way to pull specific codes from the TCM.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
2000jeep85

Thats what i was hoping and thinking because its just odd and bad chance that i would have three bad transmissions in just 2 years. Plus it only started after a heavy load.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.