Transmission problems (TCU or TCM) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission problems (TCU or TCM)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-02-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
remicman

Question Transmission problems (TCU or TCM)

I have a 1999 4.7 grand cherokee laredo. Check engine light went on. Shifting problems. Took it into transmission shop. They said I need a TCM (transmission control module).

Does anyone know what these go for?

Thanks

remicman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

A much better question would be: WTF does a TCM do? According to my Haynes manual, the PCM controls the shifting.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
nagos420

Does the car shift when you take your foot off the gas? thats what mine did the part was like 10buick from the dealer and was fixed in 5mins
nagos420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Astorm

The TCM is a real module, and its to the left of the Coolant Tank on the WJ's. Its electronic, so I guess it can wear out. Check it out, its got heat sinks on it too so it cools it better. It had a huge connector that goes from it to the PCM.
No Idea How Much they Cost.

Andy
Flowmaster 50-Series
K&N FIPK/RamIt
Every Option
Astorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

On ZJ's it's under the dash panel to the left of the steering column. I just want someone to me what it does

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.