Transmission noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission noises

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Jayybirdd
2004 WJ 

Transmission noises

When I put it Neutral and leave it, the tranny makes a vibrating humming noise
(Best way to describe it)

I also got the annoying clunk when I shift from Park to Reverse. I've tried the shift to neutral and wait then to Reverse.
That's when I found that when I leave it in Neutral, it makes a zzzzzzzzz noise till I shift.

Also when shifting, is there a way to fix the brakes from making that grinding noise when putting it in different gears? Sounds awful!!

Someone help with one of these problems! Or all of them . Tired of noises!!!

Jayybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Fellows45
1989 YJ Wrangler 

almost every wj I have driven does everything you described.

1) the humming cannot be fixed. EVERY one's wj does that. (especially the 4.7 5(45) rfe's

2) as for the shifting to reverse, again every WJ i know of does that. It's just the normal noises that our jeeps make.

3) the brake noises, if you want try an switch to a zinc coated rotor with ceramic break pads, that fixed the brake noise for me. (not sure if the factory calipers have anything to do with the noise, but I replaced mine long ago).

but honestly why would you want to spend the time and money fixing these thing aslong as your jeep runs great. you could just put that money into a repair when she really needs it. just my two cents.

1989 Wrangler YJ 2.5, 2 inch body lift, 33 inch tires
Fellows45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Ya the zzzzzzzz sound is a Chrysler thing. I've always wondered why the hell they do that, now I own a Jeep that does it.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

The noises and banging while shifting into and out of gear has to do with the rear springs. Not the spring rate, just the fact that they're not leaf springs. Hero wanted to make the Grand Cherokee ride nicer than the truck it is. That's one of the pitfalls, though. The humming is normal.
PSA - It would be nice if people made an attempt while typing to discuss their problems or opinions instead of one long sentence with no punctuation. Maybe I'm cynical, but that really pisses me off. Rant over.

"It's like saying I had a car I got that was painted by the previous owner. I had an accident so painting a car is unsafe." - cykaaro
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Jayybirdd
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys. Just so many noises going on at once!
Jayybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.