Transmission Fluid leaking into Transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Fluid leaking into Transfer case?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-03-2014, 02:57 AM   #1
boldknight

Wj Transmission Fluid leaking into Transfer case?

I was told Today that my Transfer case on my 2001 4x4 WJ was overfull because the transmission fluid was leaking into my Transfer Case?? I have looked everywhere on line and never found anything about this? The shop wants $500 to put new seals in the transfer case and transmission. I have NOT lost any Transmission fluid as I check often. Is this even possible or are they assuming I have no clue and they want to sucker me in?

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

boldknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
Range07
2003 WJ 

First thing that came to my mind, is that they were surprised by the fluid they found in the TC.... which could be a good thing (for you), if theyre just idiots. Fluid for a 247 doesnt look like fluid for a 242, for example.

First, what transfer case do you have?
Range07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
boldknight

Hi Range07..

Got a V247 Quardratrack Transfer Case...takes the Special Mopar Oil. They said the oil gushed out when they checked the fill hole and it was black? I am changing it out tomorrow and qwill know more. But that fluid is clear and the tranny fluid is red, so I am not sure that I believe them as I have never heard of such a thing, plus my Tranny level has not changed. I service all the fluids on schedule B and use all the correct Mopar fluids. Guess I will know more when I drain it. But if it is Black, that does not sound like tarnny fluid, but something else..assuming they are correct? I change out every 30,000 on the transfer case.
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
Range07
2003 WJ 

I dont know much on the 247, so hopefully someone else will chime in.... but it seems like youre on top of things, which is good.

Black fluid, in almost any part of the jeep, sounds bad. Makes me wonder if they actually checked the right plug even? lol

So, what did you have it in the shop for in the first place?
Range07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

No way man. The tc is attached via splines to to the tranny. If it were leaking it would gush out where the two meet as that is not an airtight seal. They simply attach to one another. In other words , there is no gasket between the tranny and the tc. If fluid was present it would leak between the two before it would ever make into the tc via the shafts.

The 247 uses the Mopar only formula. About 15 a quart. If it's black you should replace it. If your tranny hasn't lost any fluid you're good anyways.

I'd replace the tc fluid with Mopar stuff and I wouldn't visit that shop again. The fluid replacement is really easy. Two bolts on the tc, drain and then fill. If you can buy a syringe hand pump it would make your life a lot easier !

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
boldknight

I had the Jeep in the shop for new front inner axle seals that were leaking as I had a low cost set of boots put on the front and the idiots that put the axles back in, damaged the inner seals. So, I saved a hundred bucks getting my boots installed, but now paying more due to inexperienced guys doing the work. Going cheap with a Jeep only costs you more in the long run. Lesson Learned.
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
boldknight

Porrcher:

Thanks man! I agree and will be doing that today and post my results. This site is so great as it gets past all the BS the shops try to pull on us! Thanks!

More later...
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
boldknight

UPDATE!

Just changed out the Transfer Case and filled with Mopar. The oil was dark, like engine oil that gets old. Maybe here in the Tucson Desert and temps over 112 degrees, I should change more often than 30,000? There was some small dark things in the bottom of the oil pan I drained into..I used a clear plastic bowl to see what was up. There was not a lot of the small dark objects, but seemed to just be dirt as soon as you rubbed them, they were just dirt? I did notice a very few tiny pieces of metal flakes,not many. I will keep checking the fluid more often and see what goes on. I have no gear noise or issues, just may be normal wear.
Unread 05-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Sounds like normal wear to me. When I still had my 247 it was similar to that when I changed the fluid. As said before the case and trans just bolt to each other. The case has an input seal and trans an out put seal. The bottom of the case should have a small half circle cut into it where the case meets the trans. This allows leaking trans fluid to drain letting you know you have a problem. When I changed from my 247 to my 242hd I didn't change the output seal on the trans. Needless to say it leaked fluid out of said weep hole until I changed the seal. Don't go back to that shop. It's much easier to believe the case was filled with the vehicle slightly off level thus overfilling than what they are claiming.
Unread 05-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
boldknight

gold01wj

Agreed! Thanks to all of you for your input. Seems it is only normal wear and I am changing my fluid to every 20,000 miles now due to the extreme heat conditions here. I sure will not return to that shop again. It is truly a relief to get input from others who know more than I do! Thanks!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.