Transmission to engine support linkage?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission to engine support linkage?!?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
wildeman_13
2001 WJ 

Transmission to engine support linkage?!?

I did a few searches but I'm not exactly sure what this thing is called. I tried to get a good picture of it but it was getting too dark and the flash kept over exposing the shot. This is on a 2001 GC Laredo 6cyl 4x4

The issue, my starter went out and I was under the Jeep removing the old one and putting in the new one when I noticed a bolt missing from this linkage. It connects one bar that mounts to the engine which runs just under the starter to a three way junction right at the front of the transmission with one bar going up to the transmission and the third bar running back towards the rear and bolting onto the transmission near the drive shaft. The front bars were all solid, but when I loosened the one going to the engine, I realized that the rear most one was not bolted to anything as it dropped down onto the exhaust pipe. I was able to tighten up the three way junction enough to keep that rear bar off of things and I see a missing bolt hole, but I don't know what bolt to order to reconnect this. I'm pretty sure that this bolt went missing when I had my transmission rebuilt several years ago.

First off, does anyone know what I am talking about? And most importantly, where can I order a replacement bolt for this?

I will try to get pictures with a real camera and not my phone tonight just in case no one knows that this is.

wildeman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Duh

I know what your talking about. Just go to the hardware store for a bolt. Its not a big deal.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

They are referred to as 'Brace, Bending Transmission' and 'Brace, Bending Transmission, Bottom'.

By your description, I'm not sure which Bolt (and Nut ?) you are referring to. If you can get a picture, that will confirm. Does the missing Bolt go through the Brace and screw into a threaded hole, or does it require a Nut, to tighten?
doityourselfMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
wildeman_13
2001 WJ 

It is a bolt that goes through the end of the support/brace and threads into the transmission itself. I was unable to get under the Jeep due to hurting my knee recently to try to get a picture, unfortunately.

I was going to simply buy one from the hardware store, but I have no clue on what size/thread it uses.
wildeman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.