Transmission cpu? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission cpu?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
s2gots
2002 WJ 

Transmission cpu?

Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a grand Cherokee, one I'm going to look at says the transmission computer is bad and needs to be replaced.. Says that dealer quoted $350.00 for a new computer. It's priced relatively cheap, asking $3500, and he says it's drivable. If this is something of a minor issue to replace, it might not be a bad deal... What's your guys' thought?
It's a 99 limited v8 4x4, 150k miles.
From pictures it's in good condition, but needs a little tlc which I don't mind...
Tia

s2gots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gots View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a grand Cherokee, one I'm going to look at says the transmission computer is bad and needs to be replaced.. Says that dealer quoted $350.00 for a new computer. It's priced relatively cheap, asking $3500, and he says it's drivable. If this is something of a minor issue to replace, it might not be a bad deal... What's your guys' thought?
It's a 99 limited v8 4x4, 150k miles.
From pictures it's in good condition, but needs a little tlc which I don't mind...
Tia
One would ask how he knows the TCM is failed.

Since it's drivable, I'd suspect something else, like a servo pack solenoid spring, for instance.

I'd try to deal at $2600 and work him over like a 1970's pinball machine, or, maybe, like a cheap screen door... but, of course, he's seen it all.

Pull out that Michigan bank roll of 26 bills and you'll be on your way, maybe.

Anyway, a TCM can be had for much less than $350. It's mounted on the right front firewall, just inside of the fender well quarter panel.

...and, it's very easy to remove or reinstall.

Last edited by keith20mm; 11-03-2011 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: ok, not a 'cheap front door', but a 1970's pinball machine
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
s2gots
2002 WJ 

So I spoke with the seller, what's going on with the tranny is that it's skipping second gear.... He took the jeep to a trans specialty shop, not aamco-lol, and they said the internals are fine, it's the comp skipping the gear... Is there truth to this, or is he trying to hide a bigger problem???tia
s2gots is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.