Transmission cpu? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission cpu?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
s2gots
2002 WJ 

Transmission cpu?

Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a grand Cherokee, one I'm going to look at says the transmission computer is bad and needs to be replaced.. Says that dealer quoted $350.00 for a new computer. It's priced relatively cheap, asking $3500, and he says it's drivable. If this is something of a minor issue to replace, it might not be a bad deal... What's your guys' thought?
It's a 99 limited v8 4x4, 150k miles.
From pictures it's in good condition, but needs a little tlc which I don't mind...
Tia

s2gots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
keith20mm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gots View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a grand Cherokee, one I'm going to look at says the transmission computer is bad and needs to be replaced.. Says that dealer quoted $350.00 for a new computer. It's priced relatively cheap, asking $3500, and he says it's drivable. If this is something of a minor issue to replace, it might not be a bad deal... What's your guys' thought?
It's a 99 limited v8 4x4, 150k miles.
From pictures it's in good condition, but needs a little tlc which I don't mind...
Tia
One would ask how he knows the TCM is failed.

Since it's drivable, I'd suspect something else, like a servo pack solenoid spring, for instance.

I'd try to deal at $2600 and work him over like a 1970's pinball machine, or, maybe, like a cheap screen door... but, of course, he's seen it all.

Pull out that Michigan bank roll of 26 bills and you'll be on your way, maybe.

Anyway, a TCM can be had for much less than $350. It's mounted on the right front firewall, just inside of the fender well quarter panel.

...and, it's very easy to remove or reinstall.

Last edited by keith20mm; 11-03-2011 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: ok, not a 'cheap front door', but a 1970's pinball machine
keith20mm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
s2gots
2002 WJ 

So I spoke with the seller, what's going on with the tranny is that it's skipping second gear.... He took the jeep to a trans specialty shop, not aamco-lol, and they said the internals are fine, it's the comp skipping the gear... Is there truth to this, or is he trying to hide a bigger problem???tia
s2gots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.