Transmission Code Came back!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission Code Came back!!!!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Relax_Jimmy24
2001 WJ 

Wj Transmission Code Came back!!!!

alright so here is the deal. hopefully someone could help me as i am going crazy with this jeep. so my transmission was over heating and i got a P0740 code. so i replaced the fluid with brand new ATF4, new solenoid, new filters, new speed sensors, and new transducer sensor. so pretty much every sensor was replaced. the battery was disconnected during this time which was about 2 weeks.

i was able to test drive it and it felt great. the check engine light was also off. i thought everything was fine and had been driving it for 2 days.

well today the check engine light came back on and it was P0740

this is were i need help, since it is a transmission code do i need a scan tool to clear the codes? since the battery was disconnected i think it turned off the check engine light but am not sure if it clears the transmission codes as well.

Relax_Jimmy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Yeah you'll have to get the code cleared, or disco. the battery for 30min or so and that ought to clear it...I don't remember the actual time frame so when I did mine I left it off for 3 hours LOL. If the light comes back on after that then the code is an active code.

As for that code, I had the same code when I bought mine a few months ago and had them flush the tranny, replace the filter, and they also replaced pretty much every sensor on it and I still got the code. I took it back in to the dealer after a couple of days and said "Fix it or give me my money back.".
They took it to a transmission shop and it wound up being a bad torque converter so they re-flushed the tranny, put another filter on it, and replaced the torque converter and it's been fine every since.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
link375
2001 WJ 

P0740 is an issue with one of the solenoids in the solenoid pack in the transmission pan

I had multiple P0700 codes (P0750, P0740, P0760) my issue turned out to be my TCM computer was not providing power to the solenoid pack which made all these solenoids fail and the jeep was stuck in 2nd gear. so I replaced the TCM and that fixed it. but yours seems to be just 1 solenoid so it seems you're getting power down to the solenoid pack.

if you keep clearing the code and it keeps coming back you may have to replace the solenoid pack

I made a video here on how to change it, as I thought this was the fault on my jeep before trying to replace the TCM
all the parts needed are in the description on the video.

good luck!

link375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Subb'd for similar issues.

I get P1767, and limp mode (manually selected 2nd and 3rd gear only) and all kinds of noise from a brand new Mopar shift solenoid (with brand new Mopar input/output speed sensors and pressure transducer)

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Relax_Jimmy24
2001 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by link375 View Post
P0740 is an issue with one of the solenoids in the solenoid pack in the transmission pan

I had multiple P0700 codes (P0750, P0740, P0760) my issue turned out to be my TCM computer was not providing power to the solenoid pack which made all these solenoids fail and the jeep was stuck in 2nd gear. so I replaced the TCM and that fixed it. but yours seems to be just 1 solenoid so it seems you're getting power down to the solenoid pack.

if you keep clearing the code and it keeps coming back you may have to replace the solenoid pack

I made a video here on how to change it, as I thought this was the fault on my jeep before trying to replace the TCM
all the parts needed are in the description on the video.
i have already replaced the solenoid pack. so its not the solenoid, not the speed sensors, and not the transducer. so i have no idea what to do
Relax_Jimmy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
link375
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax_Jimmy24 View Post
i have already replaced the solenoid pack. so its not the solenoid, not the speed sensors, and not the transducer. so i have no idea what to do
I guess replacing the TCM would be your next option. you can get one at a junkyard for about $50 and then just take it to the dealership and have the flash it with your VIN number and mileage.

or you can get one here with a lifetime warranty
http://www.allcomputerresources.com/
link375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.