Transmission buzz - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Transmission buzz

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Talking Transmission buzz

Since I have had this Jeep I have had the buzzing sound coming from the transmission when cold, in reverse. From what I have read on here it is "normal". I have the 42re in this WJ, but I have had these transmissions in other chrysler vehicles that have not made this buzzing sound. I found this TSB on the WJ site and I am wondering if anyone has performed the repair. I am planning on doing a shift kit with my next fluid change and figured what the heck I might as well get rid of that annoying sound. Any words of wisdom from those with experience with it? thanks!

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_210899.pdf

03CUSEWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
jra8858
2002 WJ 

Thank you for posting that link, I also have noticed a moaning sound when first put in reverse in the mornings. Only seems to do it when really cold. At first I thought it was the power steering pump, at least now I know it is a fairly common problem and not a sign reverse is about to give out.
jra8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
andrewx12
2000 WJ 

Make sure to use atf+4 rather than 3 if you do. If the system has 3 in it 4 will still work without any issues as it is still compatible.
andrewx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Thanks with the heads up, Andrew. Hoping someone that has done this TSB will see this and chime in...
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
03CUSEWJ
2003 WJ 

Refresh for the evening crowd......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.