Transfer Case slipping? Or something else? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
North_pike98
2004 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Transfer Case slipping? Or something else?

I have a 4wd problem with my Jeep! Please help! My jeep is a 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L with 233xxx miles. I've already done some work including brakes, seals, bearings, and such. But since I've had it, it has had no engine transmission of drivetrain work done to it. I have the 242 transfer case and able to use 2wd and various 4wd options. I live in Northern Minnesota, and in the winter time I use 4wd on daily basis. Last winter when I was in 4wd something would make a loud popping/loud clicking noise when accelerating, but when I got up to speed it would stop, depending how fast I accelerated the popping would get faster or slower. So it only makes the sound under gas or torque. It happened in all 4wd modes. It sounded worst in 4lo, it was ok in 4 full time, and it did it the least in 4 part time. The transfer case goes in and out of all positions just fine. And I just changes the oil in the case, and there was zero improvement. Over this past summer I just drove in 2wd and there was no problems what so ever driving in 2wd. Yesterday I was experimenting with it some more, I noticed when driving in 2wd the front driveshaft still spun, is it supposed to do that? Then I lifted up both front tires and they spun freely together and independently, but when both, or only 1 of them was spinning, the front drive shaft still spun, and if I spun the front driveshaft both wheels would spin, is that all normal??? I obviously don't know much about how it all works, I'm just trying to figure it out.
I was told that it could be a problem with the hubs, which could be true, but listening closely to the sound, it does seem to be coming from the transfer case, and it sounds like the chain is slipping over the teeth on the gears inside the TC. Anyone have any advice on what it might be, I can do more experiments, or explain more, to narrow down what it might be. I'm 19 years old, I love working on cars, but I'm in college and don't have tons of $$$ so I don't want to just bring it into a shop to have them fix it and charge me $800. Thanks for you time. And Happy Jeeping!!

Robb Pike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 AM
4WDlifeform
2004 WJ 

Welcome to the forum! I hope we can lend you some assistance.

First thing I would check is the front drive shaft. Do you know what version shaft you have? The Rzeppa shafts can make some nasty sounds when they are on their way out. Being you're a 4.0 with 242, likely you have Rzeppa joint at T-case. Check for any tears in the boot. Try to wiggle the shaft around, there should not be any play at all. Is your jeep lifted?

If you changed the fluid in your t-case, did you notice an excess amount of debris? I can not recall if the T-case plug has a magnet or not...

You can also pull the front diff cover and inspect your gearing in there.

Regarding your front drive shaft spinning in 2WD, that is normal. Our jeeps do not have locking hubs. Everything is connected up to the transfer case.

Good luck in your troubleshooting!

'04 WJ 4.0, 300k miles! 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
'14 KL 3.2 Trailhawk - !!FOR SALE!!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Topher11

1999 WJ 

Garage
Your description of the operation of your front axle/driveshaft in 2wd are perfectly normal. The front shaft is always spinning no matter what and has nothing to do with your hubs.

Does it only happen in a 4wd mode? If it also happens in 2wd, to start, I would pull your front driveshaft off and run it down the road *in 2wd* (do not shift on the fly into 4wd with no front shaft, the tcase will not like that lol) and see what effect that has and report back. Without a front shaft, the chain in the tcase will not spin. And like 4WD said, rzeppa shafts can sound terrible right before they fail. So if the sounds disappears, you've at least isolated it to the front DS or the front output shaft/chain/diff in the tcase.

If it only happens in 4wd mode, my first guess is that you have a rzeppa joint on your front DS at the tcase yoke and its failing. only time there is load on the shaft is in 4wd. A slipping chain is a lot lower on my list. If you look at the rzeppa joint, it should be real obvious if its bad. the boot will most likely be torn, ect. If it looks ok, check your tcase fluid, if something is really slipping, i would expect to see a lot of particulate in the fluid. There is a magnet, but in order to reach it you have to crack the case open. It is located in the bottom rear half next to the pump inlet tube.

1999 WJ 4.0/6"/CLAs/33s/242SYE/ZJ Rad Swap
2006 LJ 4.0/2.5"/33s

Respected Access Is Open Access. Tread Lightly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Tollmtn
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_pike98 View Post
I have a 4wd problem with my Jeep! Please help! My jeep is a 04 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L with 233xxx miles. I've already done some work including brakes, seals, bearings, and such. But since I've had it, it has had no engine transmission of drivetrain work done to it. I have the 242 transfer case and able to use 2wd and various 4wd options. I live in Northern Minnesota, and in the winter time I use 4wd on daily basis. Last winter when I was in 4wd something would make a loud popping/loud clicking noise when accelerating, but when I got up to speed it would stop, depending how fast I accelerated the popping would get faster or slower. So it only makes the sound under gas or torque. It happened in all 4wd modes. It sounded worst in 4lo, it was ok in 4 full time, and it did it the least in 4 part time. The transfer case goes in and out of all positions just fine. And I just changes the oil in the case, and there was zero improvement. Over this past summer I just drove in 2wd and there was no problems what so ever driving in 2wd. Yesterday I was experimenting with it some more, I noticed when driving in 2wd the front driveshaft still spun, is it supposed to do that? Then I lifted up both front tires and they spun freely together and independently, but when both, or only 1 of them was spinning, the front drive shaft still spun, and if I spun the front driveshaft both wheels would spin, is that all normal??? I obviously don't know much about how it all works, I'm just trying to figure it out.
I was told that it could be a problem with the hubs, which could be true, but listening closely to the sound, it does seem to be coming from the transfer case, and it sounds like the chain is slipping over the teeth on the gears inside the TC. Anyone have any advice on what it might be, I can do more experiments, or explain more, to narrow down what it might be. I'm 19 years old, I love working on cars, but I'm in college and don't have tons of $$$ so I don't want to just bring it into a shop to have them fix it and charge me $800. Thanks for you time. And Happy Jeeping!!
Another possibility IF you have clicks or clunks or you lose 4 wheel drive in 4lo and 4 part time but 2WD still works without making any strange noises.....The mode gears in 242 T cases only engage by about 1/4 to 5/16". If 242 T cases are shifted from 2WD into other modes on a daily basis the edges of the gears get rounded. When that happens when under pressure especially in 4 lo the slider is forced out of engagement (out of 4 wheel drive). The slider could jump all the way out and into 2WD and only make a click or clunk when it jumps out or it could jump out of full engagement but the gear teeth sides could still touch and make a clicking sound as they spin. Read post 144 in the linked thread for some pictures and an explanation of the mode gear wear problem. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...6/index10.html

"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." W.J.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
North_pike98
2004 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher11 View Post
Your description of the operation of your front axle/driveshaft in 2wd are perfectly normal. The front shaft is always spinning no matter what and has nothing to do with your hubs.

Does it only happen in a 4wd mode? If it also happens in 2wd, to start, I would pull your front driveshaft off and run it down the road *in 2wd* (do not shift on the fly into 4wd with no front shaft, the tcase will not like that lol) and see what effect that has and report back. Without a front shaft, the chain in the tcase will not spin. And like 4WD said, rzeppa shafts can sound terrible right before they fail. So if the sounds disappears, you've at least isolated it to the front DS or the front output shaft/chain/diff in the tcase.

If it only happens in 4wd mode, my first guess is that you have a rzeppa joint on your front DS at the tcase yoke and its failing. only time there is load on the shaft is in 4wd. A slipping chain is a lot lower on my list. If you look at the rzeppa joint, it should be real obvious if its bad. the boot will most likely be torn, ect. If it looks ok, check your tcase fluid, if something is really slipping, i would expect to see a lot of particulate in the fluid. There is a magnet, but in order to reach it you have to crack the case open. It is located in the bottom rear half next to the pump inlet tube.
It doesn't have any problems in 2wd. And the front drive shaft doesn't wiggle at all when it is parked. And I will check through my old fluid for any chunks. And I will try and find the type of driveshaft I have. Thanks for all the help this far!! I really apprieacte it!

Robb Pike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.