transfer case/front axle/driveshaft ques. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
jp1969
2002 WJ 

transfer case/front axle/driveshaft ques.

Been getting a hum/whirring noise during acceleration that changes pitch as I crest a hill or go over a dip. Can also feel a slight vibration in the floor. No noise when coasting or during deceleration. Checked both differentials. The back fluid looks good. The front is a milky gray (just changed fluid in both a few months ago). Led me to assume front axle issues(pinion bearing?) so I was all set to replace the front axle with one from a yard (led to help post last week). Buddy that is helping suggested that it might not be the front axle after all. Three questions:
1. Anyone have similar problems that can shed some light?
2. Do these sound like symptoms of front axle issues?
3. Is it OK to disconnect the front drive shaft(247 Transfer case) and run it to isolate the front axle?
Again any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
jp1969
2002 WJ 

Been looking through old threads. Seems like it's OK to run without front drive shaft, but now have more questions. Pretty sure I have a quadra-trac 2. I've already picked up a used axle. Are the front axles from Quadra trac 2 and Quadradrive interchangeable? If not, how do you tell the difference?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Topher11

1999 WJ 

Garage
QD axles are limited slip. No issue interchanging them, and having the LSD is much better than an open diff. So it's a win win.

The vibes on the other hand sound more like your drive shaft anges are bad or if u have rzeppa joints they could be shot.

Drop the front shaft and run it down the road and see what changes. In the end you may as well put that QD axle in if you've already got it.

1999 WJ 4.0/6"/CLAs/33s/242SYE/ZJ Rad Swap
2006 LJ 4.0/2.5"/33s

Respected Access Is Open Access. Tread Lightly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
jp1969
2002 WJ 

Thanks Topher11! Not sure how drive shaft angles could have changed as haven't done any work or off-roading. Have the cv style joint @ the transfer case, so maybe that's the place to start once I'm sure the noise is coming from the front end. Don't know which front axle I got from the yard, only that it was a Dana 30/355/front u. Maybe got lucky and have the better one! Will post when I get this resolved.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
jp1969
2002 WJ 

Topher11 called it and saved me a great deal of work! dropped the front shaft and the joint @ the TC was toast. Was able to fix with a repair kit from NAPA for $160. Guess I have a spare front axle with all the components when needed. Thanks Topher11!
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM
usserya
1977 CJ7 

Mine does not have a front drive shaft and drives around town just fine.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
jp1969
2002 WJ 

Daughter's 1st car. 4WD in northeast NY is a BIG plus. Peace of mind well worth the cost and effort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.