Trans issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trans issue?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
scrivenerc

Trans issue?

I just changed IAC valve, TPS and new spark plugs. But when i first start the car in the morning i have to let it warm up for about 5 mins or it doesnt want to go into drive. It slowly goes lokes its in 2nd or 3rd gear. Once it wRms ups its fine. Also when i stop at a light sometimes the kinda shifts down and bucks forward a bit. Its a 2000 4.7 with 150,000 miles, i bought it used and im not sure if the trans fluid and filter have ever been changed.

scrivenerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
65Mustangs
2003 WJ 

First thing to check would be the trans fluid level. The trans dipstick is right next to the oil dipstick. Check it with the engine at operating temp, and the car idling in neutral. DON'T FORGET TO SET THE PARKING BRAKE!!!!!
Next would be to see what color the fluid is. Use a white paper towel to wipe the dipstick. Should be red to pinkish. If the fluid is brown, it's burnt and needs to be replaced.

I would guess that it's going to be one or the other of the above. Your other option would be to flush and replace the system. Our trans take a specific type of fluid and it could have the wrong one. DO NOT buy a trans flushing product. They are a waste of money. ATF is a great solvent / cleaner on its own. You will need to drain the system, fill back up, drive about 20miles then repeat. This is because you can't drain the torque converter in the car, and it holds around 4qts. Three times would be optimal, but twice will suffice.

If that doesn't help, post back here with the results and we'll try and help some more.

Good Luck!!
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
scrivenerc

Ok thanks, i also throw a cel code of P1784 about once a month but goes away on its own the same day. Ill check the fluid and go from there.
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

May be the output speed sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 05-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
scrivenerc

Ill look into the speed sensor
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mustangs View Post
First thing to check would be the trans fluid level. The trans dipstick is right . Should be red to pinkish. If the fluid is brown, it's burnt and needs to be replaced.
here
tr-fluid-check.jpg   atf.jpg  
Unread 05-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
scrivenerc

Checked trans fluid, its full and still red, doesnt look burnt at all. I have no idea when it was changed last so ill change that and the filter just to be on the safe side.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.