Trans case chain question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

Trans case chain question

2002 WJ with select trac np 242 chain is shot. I was just going to change the chain while trans case on vehicle.
Can I just remove the smaller gear with ring and replace the chain without pull the input shaft off?
Any tips of info appreciated.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-17-2017, 05:36 PM
1996maroonzjf
1996 ZJ 

I just did this this on a ZJ 242, but I did a complete rebuild with the case off of the vehicle. I think you should be able to do this, I cant think of any reason it wouldn't work.

One piece of advice I will give you is DO NOT BUY A CROWN CHAIN!

On final assembly, I was having trouble getting the the rear bearing retainer (Tail shaft cone) aligned with the main shaft and the shift rail. I couldn't figure it out and it turn out crown has been shipping out defective chains that are too small. It was extremely frustrating after putting all that work into it.

I got an email from a Crown customer service rep. yesterday -

"Im sorry this took a while to get back to you but I was getting a lot of mixed information from Mopar on the chains for these vehicles. To make a long story short, it appears that the pitch of the link was changed (for reasons not known to me). One pitch is .500 and the other is .5033. Now that does not really sound like a lot, but if you do the math adding up every pitch, that comes out to almost 1/8! That sounds like what the problem may be. Unfortunately all the chains we have for that case are all the same, so a replacement chain would not do the trick."

I'm getting a refund, but it has cause so many freaking headaches it not even funny!!

Good luck!

-Tim
96 4.0 Laredo, 42RE, NP242, HP30 & D35c 3.55, OME 2.5" HD Coils, Bilstein 5100s, IRO Adj. LCAs
post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
rockyrivermark
2002 WJ 

Absolutely with ya on the crown parts.
I put a crown rear wheel bearing on last year. Pulled axel. Pressed on new bearing and retainer.
Axel had in and out movement of 3/8". Was pressed in all the way. Installed correctly. Pulled my hair out and finally changed bearing to another brand and problem solved.
I saw they offer the chain so stayed way clear of that.
Omni I believe is what I ordered.
Thanks for the info.
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.