Tranny whining in 1st - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny whining in 1st

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Tranny whining in 1st

2003 GC Overland, 132,500mi

I've had the Jeep since May and I don't remember it doing this when I first got it, but to be honest, I can't remember for sure. I don't think it was because I'm usually pick up on strange noises quickly. The transmission has not been serviced since I've owned the vehicle since the fluid looked good and the level was correct.

So, in first gear and first gear only, my tranny has started to whine. Starts low, gets louder and higher pitches as rpm's go up, shift into 2nd is smooth as butter and sound goes away. On deceleration it does just the opposite, when the tranny downshifts back to first when coming to a stop, you can hear the whine go from high to low. Again, only does this is first gear.

I checked the fluid and the level was fine, fluid is bright red and looks clean, no abnormal smell. BUT, there were some small bubbles in the fluid. Wasn't what I would describe as "foam", though, like can happen if it's overfilled. Just clear bubbles.

Has anyone else experienced this whine and/or fluid with bubbles in it? Should I be worried that my trans is about to kick the bucket?

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Russell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Bump. Anyone?

2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Clayton Long Arms, Teraflex 4.5" coils, JKS adj trackbar, JKS Quicker Discos, 17x9 Eagle Alloy Series 185, 285/70/17 BFG KM2, cut fenders/bumpers
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

If it sounds similar to this, I'm pretty sure that's normal for Chrysler transmissions. Mine does the same thing.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Russell84
2003 WJ 

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. I just didn't remember hearing it before I put the lift and tires on. I'm kind of a hypochondriac with my Jeep. Always hearing noises and thinking she's sick. I gotta stop reading so many threads about WJ's breaking. Haha.

Unread 06-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Knightrider9827
2002 WJ 

Whining in 1st

I think my tranny is making the same noise in 1st.
I have the 42re, although it is a little louder than in the video below.
is this the same as yours sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDxq...ature=youtu.be
Knightrider9827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider9827 View Post
I think my tranny is making the same noise in 1st.
I have the 42re, although it is a little louder than in the video below.
is this the same as yours sounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KDxq...ature=youtu.be
Yep.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.