Trailer Hitches Interchangeable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Hitches Interchangeable?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Blane11

Trailer Hitches Interchangeable?

Hello All. I come seeking knowledge.

I'm looking to put a towing package/trailer hitch on my 2000 jeep grand cherokee. Instead of buying a brand new one I decided to check out my local salvage yard. I found one on a 01 grand that appears to be stock for $33 and some change. Before I go back and take it off, does anyone know if it'll fit on my 2000 grand?

Also, anyone have experience removing/installing these? Level of difficulty?

Thanks.

Blane11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

99-04 will fit any and all. Be aware thgas tank skid witch holds the gas tank is sandwiched hitch and uniframe. SEE PDF BELOW.

Get the trailer harness too.

Get the bumper bezel also. Although Limited and Laredo bezels are slightly different but can work on either.

Easy. If you live in the rust belt pre soak bolt for week. A floor jack is a big help. Use it to hold gas tank skid and tank up when you remove the skid bolts that are used for the hitch. Tank skid only has 3 bolts on each side but hitch uses 4 per side so get the bolts from the JY hitch so you have spares.

Read all these.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/pdf/trailer_hitch_install.pdf

http://www.wjjeeps.com/pdf/trailer_harness_install.pdf

http://www.wjjeeps.com/trailer.htm

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Blane11

Thanks gcjeeping. That's a big help.

I don't have a week, however. I'm going back on Sunday to attempt the removal. Some lubricant and a socket set is all I have to get the job done. We'll see how it turns out.

Again, thanks for the help.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The pre soak was more for your jeep. Like I said depends on if you live in the rust belt you may snap some bolts off the donor vehicle. If the bolts are rusted or bind you gunna have a good work out.

Hitch...
A 1/2" long handle ratchet and breaker bar. A 6" or longer extension. Instructions say 13mm, 15mm and 18mm sockets. I would have same sizes in wrenches too.

Bumper cover(if you decide to remove it)...
Phillips screw driver and common screwdriver. Needle nose and diagonal (dikes) also.

Bezel...
Long common screw driver and a good sharp putty knife. You will need to break the welded plastic rivets that hold it to the bumper.

Harness...
Phillips screw driver and possible small sockets (7mm or so) for the hitch 7 way plug receptacle on the hitch. I have found the 4 screw to be either phillips or socket.

Also if for some reason the donor jeep is missing the 7 way plug receptacle you can get one off a Dodge truck. Same plug.

Unread 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Blane11

I just read over your material gc. The installation may be tougher than I anticipated, but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Looks like I'll have to take the bumper off. That correct? Will I have to have the bumper bezel from the donor?
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

If you can get the parts off a jeep you should be able to put them on another.

You can get the hitch off without taking the bumper off. But your jeep if it does not have the cut out already will need it cut out ad this may be easier for you with the bumper off. Some bumpers on the backside have guide lines for cutting it for the bezel others don't. Your decision on how you cut it. The bezel will hide some bad cutting though.

You only need the bezel if you want a factor looking instal on your jeep. You can reattach it with body fasteners or screws.

Unread 12-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Blane11

If you around GC, I've successfully removed the hitch at the salvage yard and am now getting ready to remove my rear bumper so I can make a cut and install the hitch.

Questions: (I looked on the website you gave but didn't see anything relating to rear bumper removal)
-I see 4 plastic pins on the bumper that need to be removed. Before I just go to tugging at them, should they just pop out and be good to pop back in?
-I see the plastic rivets (?) around the wheel wells - same question as above.
-I've got the 2 star drive screws out. Am I missing any fasteners?

Edit:

Ok so i got all of the push pins out (8). And, the plastic rivets (6). What am I missing?

Last edited by Blane11; 12-22-2013 at 05:51 PM..
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Read this thread. Has pics too...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...9-help-136024/

Unread 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Blane11

yea, I cracked the bumper a little by the wheel well on accident. But I can now see the SOBs that are giving me trouble. The bumper seems to be held to the body on the track by 2 metal rivets. Not sure what to do about those, so I guess Ima have to make a cut with the bumper on and get a bezel at a later date.
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Should be no metal rivets.

Here are a couple vids...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.