Track Bar Adjustment Question.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track Bar Adjustment Question..

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 11-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Track Bar Adjustment Question..

Im on 3" Lift. I just got my track Bar Yesterday.
I absolutely have no clue how to adjust it, to bring back the Jeep to its center spec. Can anybody help me. Thanks.

blazepsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
Nubster
2002 WJ 

You have to measure each side to make sure there is the same amount of space on both sides. Take your tape measure and with your front wheels pointed straight, find a spot on the tire to measure from to a point on the frame or body of the Jeep inside the wheel well area. Do the same on the other side using the exact same points. If it is out use a ratchet strap to pull it back to even and install the track bar then remove the strap.

"When I Die, Bury me in my Jeep. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!"

White Jeep Club #132
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Can I measure using the Nuts? Ive read that steering the wheels as i measure will do the trick as well. Does this apply to WJs as well?
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Nubster
2002 WJ 

I think the steering wheel trick will work too but you need someone to turn it as you measure and mount the bar. The ratchet strap trick is more for when you don't have help and honestly I think it would work better anyways and be more precise.

Not sure what you mean but using the nuts?

"When I Die, Bury me in my Jeep. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!"

White Jeep Club #132
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

where do i strap the ratchet strap? any points on the jeep. Im guessing axle and what? Im having a hard time locating on which part of the body should i strap it in. driver side Btw. tnx
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

I just parked in a level spot. Used a short carpenters level vertically at the center of each fender at the hub. Measured center of outer tire wall to inside edge of the level on both sides and split the difference. Adjust the track bar, then check your measurement again. Usually, cranking the steering the other way got the holes lined up enough to get the bolt in.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Darn it.i think im measuring it on the wrong points. where should i measure it? A? B? C? or the right way D?
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
tsconver
2003 WJ 

D would be the answer. THe track bar is side to side under the vehicle not up and down or front to rear which are the measurements in your drawing.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Waa! I just read some more stuff about adjusting this. I was doing A, Which is completely stupid. I thought i have to measure the height from each side. No wonder why my tires shows more outside of the fender than the other.
Ive read more of it but is till don't get it. Can anyone can make me an illustration like what i did on how to properly measure it.
Ill do the steering trick, i just don't know where to measure it. Ones i learn this i might as well do a write up about it. I couldn't find one with pics.
oh well, thats how we all learn. by asking. so can anyone please help.tnx.
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

I guess this is how im suppose to do it...?

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

The track bar centers the axle under the vehicle from left to right (left and right are always taken from the driver's perspective). When you go up in lift, the stock track bar will bring the center of the axle (center being between the the 2 wheels) closer to the driver side of the vehicle. An adjustable track bar allows you to puch the center of the axle to the right, back under the center of the vehicle. On level ground, I was describing measuring the gap of both sides of the vehicle, between the outer edge of the fender and the tire. Subtract the difference of the 2 measurements and that will be your track bar adjustment.

Edit- You posted the pics while I was typing, yes, that's how but I oculdn't find my plumb bob and just used a 3 ft level.
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
blazepsi
2001 WJ 

Awesome. I'm thinking that i should find the center of the axle and center of the body then try to let them meet up at the middle. Which i believe is the harder way, or just measure the Fender-to-Hub from each side(the easier way.

Funny how i was doing it all wrong. I learned what a plumb bob looks like. now time to readjust. Tnx folks. ill make a write up to share.
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Hopefully the plumb bob line in the picture isn't touching the tire as it appears to be, if so, he's just measuring the wheels backspacing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.