Trac bar/ death wobble - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trac bar/ death wobble

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #61
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

Ball joints,I changed mine about a month ago,the upper ones were ok but the lowers were totally shot.

TURNER76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #62
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Well my local tire shop (Tire Discounters, not to be confused with Discount Tire) put 11 ounces on one of my wheels, and 10 on another, and 4-6 on the remaining two. This is a Vision 375 Warrior set of wheels that's brand new with Cooper AT3s in 265/70 size that are also brand new. I'm beginning to think either Coopers are rectangles or my tire shop guys are ignorant about how to properly balance a tire. So anyway, that's part of my issue and that's hopefully getting resolved today.

My ball joints don't seem to have any play in them. I have all new control arms/bushings, new steering gear box, and new steering stabilizer on order right now. I'll put all that on this week and see what happens. I am rapidly approaching my limit with this POS and if my death wobble isn't gone by the end of this month I will put it up for sale. I've owned seven Jeeps and the wife has had two Jeeps and I've never in my life had as much trouble with one as I'm having with the WJ.

We shall see what happens after this next round of parts...
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #63
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
So I got the JKS bar on last night. (It's eye candy. I really love it.) Torqued bolts to 75 ft/lbs per instructions.
Been skimming this thread and this really caught my eye... Tighten those bolts *WAY* tighter. I've got my frame side at 125-135 ft/lbs to keep it from moving. I had it at 75 ft/lbs like the instructions said when I did it. That was no were near enough to keep it from moving, it was clunking and moving around. (I've got about 95 ft/lbs on the axle side.) I recall a year or so ago that the JKS sleeve wasn't quite perfect and needed a lot of pressure to keep it in place. I've been running those numbers and it kept the sleeve from moving. Just my 2 cents.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #64
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I did a steering test after installation and didn't see any movement that would cause a problem. But I might tighten them down a little more for good measure.

Got my wheels and tires back on this afternoon. Shop got 3 of them looking decent with one still requiring a lot of weight. They say that wheel is just out of balance some and there's nothing they can do. Tried a fresh Cooper AT3 and the road force numbers got even worse. So they got it as close as possible. I mounted that tire on the rear.

Got my steering gear box off tonight. Will replace it with a reman unit tomorrow. Couldn't get the pitman arm off to save our lives. Even beat on it with a wedge and sledge hammer while it was out of the Jeep and it wouldn't budge. Buying a new pitman arm is a good call.

After the new steering box is in tomorrow I will do the control arm bushings later this week along with my Moog "Super Trail Boss" steering stabilizer. Then I will take it for a test drive.

If it still has death wobble, I'll try ball joints as a final attempt before selling it and moving on.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.