Trac bar/ death wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trac bar/ death wobble

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Pigdog11
2001 WJ 

Trac bar/ death wobble

Ok so last month I bought my 2001 WJ. It had been lifted by the previous owner. I asked him if it had the death wobble. And of course he said no. Anyway no biggie. Of course a few days after driving, it happened. I have now gone through the suspension completely. New trac bar bushings (JKS adjustable),all 4 bj's, upper control arms with new bushings on the axle,all tie rods(drag link and outers) even the rear control arm bushings and ball joint.
All replaced parts had a little bit of play and may have even been original. The bearings are good the lower contol arms are good and so is the stabilizer shock. Soooooo it happened AGAIN today.
My thought is that the bushings in the trac bar are too soft. I see that you can get stiffer bushings but will this really be enough? Doesn't anyone make a trac bar with heim joints with zero deflection? This is beyond frustrating. 17 years as a tech and neither I or my co-workers have never run into this much of a problem. We are stumped.

Pigdog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

JKS offers a new flex joint style trackbar. However, the mount holes of the trackbar (especially axle end) could be wallowed/ovaled so check that first. What are the details of your suspension?

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Pigdog11
2001 WJ 

I checked the mounting holes at both ends and they are still round.I do not know the type of lift,there aren't any markings that I can see.There just seems to be an excessive amount of movement in the track bar bushings when the steering is cycled back and forth while sitting still. Even though they are new.
Unread 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

Everybody on here says to get the kevins super hard off road bushings for trac bar.
TURNER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Pigdog11
2001 WJ 

That is what i was wondering, do I spend another $50 on another set of bushings . Are they REALLY that much better?
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
greenwj
2004 WJ 

Kor Bushings are worth it IMO.
greenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #7
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

I purchased the jks track bar and the k.o.r. bushings.Theres a video on youtube that shows the jks bushings moving then one with the k.o.r. bushings were Its not moving.Death wobble can only be treated and not cured because It Is a design flaw with these jeeps.I got death wobble about a week ago from hitting a pot hole.I hit the very same pot hole the next day and no death wobble.
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
="TURNER76;21391321Death wobble can only be treated and not cured because It Is a design flaw with these jeeps.
This is definitely misinformation! Death wobble is created by worn steering components and geometry. It is definitely not a design flaw with THESE Jeeps because it can happen on any solid axle vehicle. It can definitely be cured with a little patience and elbow grease.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
fast540
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ
This is definitely misinformation! Death wobble is created by worn steering components and geometry. It is definitely not a design flaw with THESE Jeeps because it can happen on any solid axle vehicle. It can definitely be cured with a little patience and elbow grease.
this is correct
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

I really dont think so,If there was a cure nobody would have death wobble.Even the companies that sell death wobble kits say that there kit reduces the chance of death wobble Its not a hundred percent.You can have a completely new suspension and still get death wobble.
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

We're not talking about a virus here. There will never be a "cure-all" for DW as every case is different yet the same. Coming from experience there are "cures" and I tried absolutely every one battling DW. For me it was geometry because of caster. As soon as my caster was changed I have been cured of DW. The only time it came back was when I lifted higher, thus changing my caster again and I have been DW free for a couple years now. Even with a bent and destroyed tie-rod. Many, many people have cured their own case of DW and I believe there is a thread about it. You say there is no cure and you are wrong, a set up WJ with correct steering geometry and quality components can run without a steering stabilizer and not even flinch.
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

You are contradicting yourself.You said It yourself there Is no cure all.Then you say there Is cure.You also say this can happen with any solid axle vehicle.Name one that has a rep like these jeeps have for death wobble.It Is known as the Infamous jeep death wobble after all. You can replace all the parts you want and yes It will help but It will not give a 100% chance of no death wobble Is all Im sayen.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

You may want to reread my post and comprehend it completely. I never contradicted myself. There are many components that can cause this and it could be one or all of them therefore there is no "cure-all". Dodge trucks for one have a tendency for DW. The reason for it being infamous in Jeeps is because there are an exponential amount of people who lift theses things. With a lift comes bigger tires, changes in steering geometry and stress on parts that were not designed for the added stress. I'm not going to debate this any longer as it is cluttering the OPs thread.
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I got DW on my 99 Z71 from a worn tie rod. Hit a bump and steering shook until I could slow down.
Not even a solid axle but still the same symptoms.

It all boils down to geometry and something worn or loose.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

Design flaw

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.