Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TPMS: "Tire pressure sensor bad/missing"

23K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  WJWKXJZJ 
#1 ·
Having what seems to be a common issue with the TPMS on my 2004 GC Overland. Have searched and reviewed the many posts here and elsewhere, but the problem resolution still seems elusive.

I started getting the chimes and the "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING" a week ago. The tire pressure was fine. Took to dealer for other issue and asked them to look at it. They found spare was at 25 psi and filled and retrained all tires. When I pick it up, the warning is still there and chimes sound. They take Jeep back in to shop, hook up to scanner and it shows no faults. They then get another scanner and same result.

At this point, I guess it could be a bad EVIC, but it works fine otherwise, showing correct pressure in tires, etc. Other option is to replace the sensors, which at 8+ years are reaching their life, but no warnings from system yet.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I have the same issue/warning on startup. Just ordered the sensor replacements. Is this a DIY item? Does the tire need to be removed from the wheel, or can the air be removed, the sidewall be pushed in while replacing the sensor, or should I let a local tire store do the TPMS exchange?

#7 ·
If you have a set of tire spoons you can gently push the bead off the rim and easily replace the sensor.

Unless your tire is covered with mud or sand, popping the bead off its seat shouldn't require any cleaning. Ensure it's clean just to be extra safe.

Make sure you have adequate compressed air volume to re-seat the bead through inflation. A thin film of soapy water is what your tire shop uses, you can as well to ease the bead back onto the rim seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.