Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Towing and Tire Size

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  gatorgrabber 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have WJ with the 4.7 V8 H.O... It will shortly be getting a 2" BB and new tires. I tow a travel trailer which weighs approx 3200 lbs. I am debating between between which tires to get (30's or 31's). I have done plenty of research about power loss associated with larger tires, so I am hesitant to go with the 31's. My question is does anybody tow with their Jeep on 31's and do you notice any decrease in power from stock?

Many Thanks.

#2 ·
Cant comment on that particular engine (experts will be along shortly!) but the weight of the tyres affects things nearly as much as the size so weight of your chosen tyre should be taken into account. I had heavy MTs in stock sizes for a while and notices more or a power loss (as well as a significant mpg loss) with those then I did when I went with larger than stock ATs....which were much lighter.

#4 ·
I will definitely be sticking with an AT tire. I have chosen the BFG Ko2's. According to their spec sheet the 30's are actually 29.5" (so pretty much stock for the GC) and the 31's are actually 30.5". So technically their 31's are only 1" larger than stock. I'm wondering if I'll even feel any power loss, especially with the V8.

#3 ·
I think 31's are to big for a 2 inch lift yes they will fit but they will rub in places and there just stuffed in there.
I have a 2 inch lift on my 4.7 and like just the 29.5 size same as I have on my not lifted 4.0 245/65/17 I just think it gives the tire room to travel and your not worried about cutting up stuff to stop rubbing.
I noticed when I first got mine it had on 265/75/16 with a 2 inch lift maybe a little more in front to level out the rake on them.
The shocks had wear marks from the tires and the plastic was getting eaten up they also wore strange not sure if its a toe in or out problem watching the tires I put on for the same wear but they were just to big.
I mean to me you want your tires to have the ability to articulate and not just have big tires on there.
Here is a pic of mine with the 29.5 and 2 inch lift.
towing is going to add some spring pressure and downward movement I would think I am not towing expert I would go with 30 or smaller I think mine look good with the 2 inch lift.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply and picture. I have been searching high and low for a picture of a WJ with the 2" BB and 29.5" tires. Almost all pictures I have seen have had 31's or equivalent. I like your point about articulation. I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling in mine. It just has to have the ability to safely travel down old logging roads to get to remote fishing lakes while pulling a trailer.

#7 ·
Moving heavy..ish caravans is part of my job...up to 1900 kg (about 4200lb)...You should not need any extras assistance for the rear springs if get get the tongue weight right (140kg..about 300lb max on a WJ) ...that's UK spec...might vary over there. Even when I tow the most badly loaded customer caravans it never does more than take out the factory designed rake and make her tow flat. If you need extra strength at the back you either need new springs to replace your worn ones or to do a better job of loading your trailer. Most of the weight of the trailer should be pushing down through the trailer tyres..not down on your towball.

#9 ·
My reason for suggesting the air bags has more to do with headlight alignment. It doesn't take too much weight on the back of a lifted WJ to make you 'unpopular' with oncoming traffic at night, often signified by the "You're #1" sign folks will give you! :grin2:
Thanks very much for the input. The trailer is equipped with a weight distribution hitch, so the Jeep sits nicely with a bit of rake. The Jeep can also tow 6500 lbs so its not a weight issue. My concern is with tire size and how it affects the GEARING of the vehicle.

I used to own an Explorer and I went up to a 33" tire. When I did this power and towing ability went out the window (Because it's a Ford, I know..) and I would like to avoid this problem with my WJ. Now, I know that there is a huge difference between 31's and 33's, but I'm curious as to how the WJ behaves with 31's from a tow-vehicle perspective.

#10 ·
I'm running Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tires, LT245/75R/17 (load range E) on my 04 with a 3" of OME lift. They come in just a touch under 31" tall at rest and are wonderful tires. I tow a 20' tandem axle car trailer, often loaded with a FS vehicle. The 3.73 gears that came with my 4.7 HO WJ are fine with this tire but I wouldn't go any taller without, perhaps, considering a re-gear. Keep in mind that I live in Florida, so it's really flat here. I also added an Addco rear anti-roll bar along with the air bags. I'm running around 5psi in the bags and the whole combo is solid.

#11 ·
Have towed a small trailers wit either a couple of atvs, or my seadoos with not problems at all. I have OME heavy springs and fox shoxs, and the handling is good. I also have a super chips programmer see to tow and I can tell a difference, that setting holds the gears, rather then quick shifting to 5th. Also being able to program for tire size is nice too. My wj is an 04 overland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.