Towing a Jeep BEHIND a motorhome. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing a Jeep BEHIND a motorhome.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Yankee802
2004 WJ 

Towing a Jeep BEHIND a motorhome.

I just got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and need some information on getting the equipment in order to tow it behind my motorhome. The Jeep dealership said they don't have anything, and suggested I go to U-Haul. I can't believe they don't have this, so I figured I'd ask here. Is there anyone here that had their Jeep configured to be towed? If anyone can tell me what to get and where, I would appreciate it.

TIA,
Geoff

Unread 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

i believe u can configured something called a BLUE OX? and when ur towing it Put the Tcase in Neutral and the Transmission anit it? or just the Tcase Ethier way make sure ur wheels spin!
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

For the 242 (and I think most others are the same, but CHECK YOUR MANUAL), the tcase is in neutral and the transmission is in park. BlackZJ52 didnt believe me on that one last weekend so I made him read my owners manual while I drove to his Jeep to tow it back .

As for towing, you should be able to get a dolly or something from u-haul. Maybe check some RV enthusiast websites and see what they all use to tow? I know there is a way to use straight bars and let all 4 wheels ride on the ground but I have no idea what it's called. I've just seen it on the highway before all the time.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
merkur92
2002 WJ 

camping world will have everything you need.I tow my 2002 overland all time without problems.I use a roadmaster tow bar,and homemade tow bar mounts.Transfer case in nuteral,trans in park,steering wheel unlocked,and you are ready to tow.
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Does that still roll your mile forward on these newer vehicles?
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Mr. Breeze
1997 ZJ 

Go to an RV shop, they should be able to hook you up (no pun intended.)
Unread 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
merkur92
2002 WJ 

Miles dont roll foward on odomoter.You really just need to buy the tow bar and the mounts to bolt to your jeep.You can buy them anywhere.I got my tow-bar,brand new on e-bay for under half of retail.The mounts that bolt to where the tow hooks go are harder to find deals on and they are not cheap.Not to hard to put on once you get the bumper cover off.You are also going to have to figure out what you are going to do about lights and brakes.Its nice to have your tow lights wired into the jeep lights.If you get all the mounts and a light kit anyone with basic skills and tools could install everything in a afternoon.
Unread 01-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
gcjeeping
2001 WJ 

I put mine together for 150 bucks. Also is the winch mount too.

gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

I was considering buying this Jeep that had been towed behind an RV. Guy said the last owner said 60,000km was in tow so the odometer doesn't reflect its operating mileage. If the odometer doesn't roll, then buddy may have been lied to. Hmm.

Anyway, you can see the setup on this one. I like it because it's pretty hidden in there. But I don't have a clue what brand it is.

(Sharp lookin' '99 too, eh?)

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Mr. Breeze
1997 ZJ 

The only thing that would really wear out is the bushings. That's what happened to mine and they weren't too hard to replace.
Unread 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Breeze View Post
The only thing that would really wear out is the bushings. That's what happened to mine and they weren't too hard to replace.
That and the wheel bearings, tires, gears (to a lesser degree having no load on them) and all suspension parts. What wouldn't be touched is electrical, engine, t-case, tranny, and everything connected to the serpentine belt.

Still a lot easier on a vehicle being flat-towed than driven though.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know if that is like the Wrangler, but when I turn on the key, I turn it to the position so that the steering wheel is unlocked but the instuments and accessories don't come on. That will keep the miles off of the odometer. Good luck.

BTW... nice set up, gcjeeping.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

You are correct, Spoiled. With the speed sensor being electronic, neither the speedometer nor the odometer will be operational with the key turned off. So no, you will not rack up odometer miles being towed so long as your ignition is off.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #14
mekirk2

Four Wheels Down

****READ YOUR MANUAL****

I cannot stress this enough. Depending on your year and your 4WD type, you may or may not be able to tow. You CANNOT tow a 2WD, even on a dolly, without disconnecting the driveshaft! The back wheels cannot turn with the driveshaft installed, even if the transmission is in Nuetral. You will destroy your tranny if you tow with the rear wheels down.

4WD towing depends on the 4WD system. For example, the 2005 Grands have three different 4WD's. I dont remember their names but the first is ALL TIME 4WD without a low gear and Nuetral (I think Quadra trac I or something like that.) This one cannot be towed with any wheels down PERIOD. Major damage. On a dolly you will destroy your transfer case, 4 wheels down you will destroy your tranny.

The other two 4WD systems on an 05 can be put in Nuetral (transfer case) and towed per the manual.

Like I said, check your manual and know which system you have.

Michael
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
SteveP14

Ebay Store

Hey Guys,

Check out my Ebay store

http://myworld.ebay.com/towwiringproducts

I sell a few different Jeep harnesses for towing behind an RV.
SteveP14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.