Towing helper bags? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing helper bags?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

Wj Towing helper bags?

So I wired in the trailer brakes last week and pulled the pop up along with the WJ for a weekend long trail ride. I noticed immediately that the rear squats quite a bit when pulling the 3500 # dry weight PUP. My rig uses the RC 4" springs in the back and was wondering if anyone has used the "Air Lift" helper bags? Did they help? What was your experience?

Jeepwagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

If you don't have a weight distributing set up, you're overloading the hitch and therefore the rear suspension. I'd go that route before air bags.

6,500-lb tow rating and 750-lb tongue weight rating w/V8 engine.
(w/weight distributing equipment; otherwise 2,000-lb tow rating, 350-lb tongue weight rating.)
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

While these are valid concerns the pop up I am towing should have a young weight far less then 350. I believe it is due to the fairly flexy springs the RC lift comes with. Has anyone tried the add in air bags?
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
richsandwich

I used them for 2 years. On that note it was with my stock springs. I recently installed my rc 4in lift and took them out at the same time. On the stock springs they worked great ride was roughhhhh but they did there job. When you add air you can see that *** end go up in the air. I towed my 19ft center console fishing boat with no problems.
richsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

I second the weight distribution suggestion. Steering and ride will improve. Safer towing as well.
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
I second the weight distribution suggestion. Steering and ride will improve. Safer towing as well.
/rant on/

Well I tow the same pop up with a 2008 Commander that has a stock suspension with similar towing capacity and engine. I experience no sag and no issues with that tow rig. I appreciate your recommendations for a weight distribution set up but I believe you guys are barking up the wrong tree. Unless you speak from experience with a rig that has a similar lift and similar towing set up please refrain from further discussion on the weight distribution set up. My original question was on helper bags and I was looking for opinions on using these. The cost of these helper bags is only $79 vs. $500+ for a properly set up weight distribution system.

/rant off/
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsandwich View Post
I used them for 2 years. On that note it was with my stock springs. I recently installed my rc 4in lift and took them out at the same time. On the stock springs they worked great ride was roughhhhh but they did there job. When you add air you can see that *** end go up in the air. I towed my 19ft center console fishing boat with no problems.

Thanks for the info!
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwagons
/rant on/ Well I tow the same pop up with a 2008 Commander that has a stock suspension with similar towing capacity and engine. I experience no sag and no issues with that tow rig. I appreciate your recommendations for a weight distribution set up but I believe you guys are barking up the wrong tree. Unless you speak from experience with a rig that has a similar lift and similar towing set up please refrain from further discussion on the weight distribution set up. My original question was on helper bags and I was looking for opinions on using these. The cost of these helper bags is only $79 vs. $500+ for a properly set up weight distribution system. /rant off/

Ahhh... Sorry you feel that way my friend. I thought this was a "forum" to exchange not "refrain" info. You posted, we share info, including safer alternatives. WDH is safer for rv towing and recommended by the manufacturer.

Second, you posted in the WJ section, not the commander section.

Third, the commander has a longer wheel base. Naturally, longer vehicles will sag differently.

At the end of the day it's your rig bro. I can only tell you from vast towing experience and speaking with fellow campers on different campsites across the south east. All but one has told me bags are not a proper fix for sag. A "proper" WDH system is. I paid $220 for mine. And when I'm not towing it's not affecting the ride, as bags may.
Good luck. Hope you have a better day.
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
Ahhh... Sorry you feel that way my friend. I thought this was a "forum" to exchange not "refrain" info. You posted, we share info, including safer alternatives. WDH is safer for rv towing and recommended by the manufacturer.

Second, you posted in the WJ section, not the commander section.

Third, the commander has a longer wheel base. Naturally, longer vehicles will sag differently.

At the end of the day it's your rig bro. I can only tell you from vast towing experience and speaking with fellow campers on different campsites across the south east. All but one has told me bags are not a proper fix for sag. A "proper" WDH system is. I paid $220 for mine. And when I'm not towing it's not affecting the ride, as bags may.
Good luck. Hope you have a better day.
The Commander was an example. The question was about a WJ.

I am having a great day! I solicited information about towing helper bags.

Please read my original post.

EDIT: Do you tow with a lifted WJ? What?

Here is a picture of the setup with the load. The back is about 2" lower then normal.

Unread 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwagons
The Commander was an example. The question was about a WJ. I am having a great day! I solicited information about towing helper bags. Please read my original post. EDIT: Do you tow with a lifted WJ? What? Here is a picture of the setup with the load. The back is about 2" lower then normal.
Bags work - yes, they'll make it ride level and are probably cheaper than a WD hitch.

However, I agree with others.. the WD hitch is the way to go. I have a 4" RCX on my WJ and it sits like your picture without it (I also have a PUP). With the WD hitch it sits pretty and level. BTW.. it sat that way with stock springs too. Don't blame the "Soft RC Springs" for that sag as it's normal.

U don't have to pay $500 for a WD hitch. The benefit of this is that it distributes the weight to all 4 wheels, lowering the stress on the rear end, transmission, suspension, and your ride in general.

Sorry, my two cents.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Jeepwagons
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post
Bags work - yes, they'll make it ride level and are probably cheaper than a WD hitch.
Thanks!
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
braddf
2001 WJ 

WOW you werent kidding about the sag. I really like the idea of bags as a cheap fix to the sagging problem. If you get them don't forget to report back on how they do!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.