Towing a Grand - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing a Grand

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 10-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Towing a Grand

My book is al ready packed.

I need to tow my grand 2001, select trac, behind a uhaul truck. Should I put it up on a trailer or use the auto dolly. I will be towing it about 1700 miles. If I use the dolly and leave the back wheels down I know I put the tcase in neutral but where do I put the trans. Does it need to be in gear to keep things lubed or not.

Thanks,
Ross

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
My book is al ready packed.

I need to tow my grand 2001, select trac, behind a uhaul truck. Should I put it up on a trailer or use the auto dolly. I will be towing it about 1700 miles. If I use the dolly and leave the back wheels down I know I put the tcase in neutral but where do I put the trans. Does it need to be in gear to keep things lubed or not.

Thanks,
Ross
Look at http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

If you put TC in neutral, shaft going from automatic trans to TC will not move. So it does not matter in what gear you put the trans. In general, lube pump on car trans is diven by the engine. There are only a few marine trans where lube pump is driven by outgoing shaft...

1700 miles is a bit to drive. Think it would be most convenient to have the whole thing on a trailer. And the trailer will probably have brakes as well.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2003, 08:13 AM   #3
shylow

If you leave the back wheels on the ground, disconnect the drive shaft. Thats what i did. The place that rents the u-haul should tell you to do the same thing.
shylow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.