Towing a 2000 Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing a 2000 Limited

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
motorhead7963

Wj Towing a 2000 Limited

OK so I am relocating to Texas, and I have got to get all my vehicles there too. I went on U-hauls website to checkout their tow dolly. On the website it says I have to disconnect the drive shaft in order to tow it. I don't see any issues there, it sounds pretty straight forward. Today I went to a U-Haul store to get some boxes and stuff and thought I would ask the clerk about the tow dolly VS a car trailer. The guy types in my info and then tells me that I will need to trailer it or tow the vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground with everything in neutral. He said the transfer case will not allow it to be towed even if the drive shaft is disconnected, he said something about the transfer case will get messed up. Now I am a mechanic by trade and what he said makes no sense being that the only rotating unit is the rear diff. In my view the only thing that might be an issue would be the driveshaft, and only if it had to be timed to the rear diff. If anybody has any input on this I would be very interested to hear it. But I think the guy is just trying to upsell the trailer to me. What do you guys think???

motorhead7963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
icanhithimman
2002 WJ 

I thought you just put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and go?
icanhithimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Here you go. It can be done

http://wjjeeps.com/towing.htm
Frambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
motorhead7963

Cant I just disconnect the driveshaft? the front wheels, trans, and transfer case will not be moving at all? just the rear wheels.
motorhead7963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.