tow hooks??? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tow hooks???

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSpartan Locker 1 day sale This Friday only!

Unread 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #46
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Fawkes shackle mounts are 5/8", with 1/4 mount plates but larger bolts.. $132 for those

Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #47
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
If you are referring to the big ones that pull away from the corners which results in letting breezes, water, or snow... keep your original weatherstripping and fill the gaps with silicone.

I used clear indoor/outdoor silicone. Sure it stank for a few days, which ticked off my wife, but for a few cents of silicone it does the trick at a fraction of the cost of buying new weatherstripping. Then once it's hot, when they typically sag or fall out whenever you open the doors, they no longer budge.
Will give it a try. Mine aren't too bad yet. Hers are really brutal.
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #48
marcall
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ View Post
God damn it. I paid $40 for one 2 weeks ago from a member. Haven't heard **** from him since I paypald him. Nothing. Bout to dispute w/ PayPal cuz he wont respond to PMs and if I can get a pair for $40, **** him.

I'm actually liking the saguaro d ring mounts. How
Much?
Wow! That sucks. Good luck ! My seller was great and I had them on my doorstep about 4 days later.

I was looking at the Saguaro ones myself and they are super nice but they're also about 170.00 and I figured i could put that money somewhere else.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #49
Fawkes
WJ recovery gear

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ04 View Post
Looks great, I love my S4xC shackles. curious...did they start making the shackle mounts thinner now? Mine look abit thicker
Saguaro seems to have recently redesigned their product in an effort to reduce costs (the WJ shackle kit is now $20 cheaper than they used to be). It appears as if they dropped the width of the tab to 1/2" thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Fawkes shackle mounts are 3/4"thick, with 1/4 mount plates but larger bolts.. $132 for those
Fixed. The shackle mount hole fits a 5/8" shackle, but the plate is 3/4" thick - (1" thick where it joins the mounting bracket).

At some point, I'll need to do a direct photo comparison off vehicle, but the two products are intended for slightly different applications. Theirs is a stand-alone tab, ours is modular and meant to work with a bull bar or be upgraded later to a the full winch mount + tab recovery kit we sell. Theirs tucks up tight, while ours hangs ~3" lower to clear the bull bar.

I've encouraged folks to buy the S4xC tabs in the past if it met their needs better, but I've held off on doing that lately because I'm not confident that 1/2" is thick enough to resist the bending that can occur on extreme off-angle pulls.

Maybe it's time we offered a stand alone shackle mount.

Click to order:
WJ Stand-Alone Shackle Tabs.
WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Kits.

Kris Fox
kfox@fawkesmfg.com
www.fawkesfab.com
Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #50
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
Maybe it's time we offered a stand alone shackle mount.
I think the market is there with a competitive cost.. especially with the stockers getting harder to find.
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
texlurch
2002 WJ 

A little bird told me...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/p...-13-a-1476860/

Very nice alternative to the stock tow hooks!
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #52
IAWJ47
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
No, just throw two shackles on your plastic front bumber, Rofl.
I have 1 hook i give away for free, but shipping it to US kills the deal for you all.
This is what you need>>>
where you buy thos?
IAWJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #53
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
A little bird told me...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/p...-13-a-1476860/

Very nice alternative to the stock tow hooks!
That's so tempting
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #54
tommyooooooh
2002 WJ 

i got factory tow hooks and hall the hardware except the u nut the goes into the frame from a junk yard a couple days ago for 20 dollars and a factory hitch for 65 dollars. they even pulled it all off for me. So check the junkyards.
tommyooooooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #55
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ

God damn it. I paid $40 for one 2 weeks ago from a member. Haven't heard **** from him since I paypald him. Nothing. Bout to dispute w/ PayPal cuz he wont respond to PMs and if I can get a pair for $40, **** him.

I'm actually liking the saguaro d ring mounts. How
Much?
Still don't have it. He finally responded and said he lost the back plate and will refund my money. This was 5 days ago and nothing. Last time I buy anything from the classifieds on here

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #56
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ

Still don't have it. He finally responded and said he lost the back plate and will refund my money. This was 5 days ago and nothing. Last time I buy anything from the classifieds on here
It's perfectly fine to order from people with a good reputation and are well known on the forums. If they aren't, that's when you should do some research and make sure you'll get what you're paying for. But I purchased from gcjeeping and got the part within a week. It really depends on who you are dealing with, not the whole classified section.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

gcjeeping I would probably buy from. Guess its just hard to tell who really gives a **** on here.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #58
pinaplebob
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I found mine at a Junk yard. Off course no mounting hardware, but the price was right $30.00. Went to the local dealership and spent another $30.00 for the mounting hardware.
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #59
marcall
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB_WJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm View Post
It's perfectly fine to order from people with a good reputation and are well known on the forums. If they aren't, that's when you should do some research and make sure you'll get what you're paying for. But I purchased from gcjeeping and got the part within a week. It really depends on who you are dealing with, not the whole classified section.
Yeah I wouldn't write off the whole classified section. I had a great experience and my tow hooks were shipped the day after I paid and they were on my doorstep about 3 days later across the country (S. Carolina if I remember right to AZ). I corresponded with the guy first though to get a feel for him and I think that's important because you can get a feel from the way they respond to your questions. It's not foolproof but it's a good start. Even if you don't really have questions just makes a couple up and try and get a back and forth conversation with the seller.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #60
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Yeah, at least it was they Paypal and I have all messages, so Im going to have to put a claim in and include the messages, even the one last week saying he will refund. The kicker Is on his build thread he is buying a bunch of parts and ****.

I wouldnt hesitate buying from gcjeeping, he seems like an honest legit Jeep enthusiast.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.